Good company to work for if stability is #1 for you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners

Pros

very stabilized company, no layoffs, people can work there until they retire
7-hours workday, good balance of work and social life
great benefits package

Cons

lack of professional development opportunities, no career ladder as of now, the HR claims it's in development now
legacy system/software (Dephi), since it's not a IT shop, it doesn't stay up with the latest technologies, not even close, way behind
lots of politics within the organizations

help young talents with their professional development, guide them to reach their career goal

Other Reviews for National Board of Medical Examiners

A fair company that offers job security and opportunity for stead advancement, but not without some cumbersome policies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at National Board of Medical Examiners

Pros

- 35 hour work week
    - Comfortable work environment
    - Location
    - Job security
    - Decent benefits
    - Flexible manager

Cons

- Too much red tape / administrative policies
    - Official policies are inflexible; need to have a supportive / flexible manager
    - Promotion is slow

A more casual office environment and office policies would encourage greater productivity and allow for more employee comfort/satisfaction

Certain Departments don't encourage advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National Board of Medical Examiners

Pros

Flex time, 35-hour work week, very good benefits package, including all health, personal days, vacation and sick days, and Transit vouchers. Friendly coworkers, many who have been there for decades. Some managers give more leeway than others in terms of schedule changes (doc appts, kids' games, etc.) Great salary range, especially for a nonprofit organization.

Cons

The section I worked in, which was a sub-section of Testing Development, did not encourage advancement. If you worked in that department, it was discouraged to move out of that sub-section into another part of Testing Development (although the supervisor of my department said at one point that you could, then months later acted as if she didn't), unless you're an overqualified hire with experience in another area of TD. Depending on the budget, an employee might be hard-pressed to get professional development in department I worked in, we were supposed to get CD courses from the American Medical Writers Association, but never got them, at least when I was there. Also, unless you've worked there for many years, one can feel isolated from the other sections of Testing development. The communication between departments is not very good at al, many sections of the company don't know what the others sections do, as if each section is its own little island. I heard they're adopting a new approach to departments communicating with each other but we'll see. I also had issues with how my probation which led to my dismissal was handled, by my supervisor because some thing didn't add up.

Put your money where your mouth is when promoting advancement. Learn what the other departments are doing, many don't know unless they have a friend who works in another section. If some of your supervisors have a history of forgetting things, as mine did, hold them accountable.

There are newer employer reviews for National Board of Medical Examiners.

Worked for National Board of Medical Examiners? Contribute to the Community!