n/a

Current Employee - Branch Consumer Banking Specialist in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Branch Consumer Banking Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National City

Pros

The corporation has a lot of great products for customers.

Cons

The bank is in the process of being acquired by PNC. I was an employee that was a part of the merger of MidAmerica Bank into National City in Feb. 2008. Now, we are going through another merger and acquisition, where the close of the sale (to PNC) will be complete by Dec. 31, 2008.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you do extensive checks on Branch Management. While things are always "peachy" when executive management visits the branch, the moral of the branch is not always what it appears to be.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Corporate Banker in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate Banker in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Positives: The people at NCC are truly best in class. Even though NCC is a big company 30K+, there is a close nit community feel. Additionally, meeting with upper level management is practice that is encouraged. Negatives: Considering that NCC Is a close nit environment company, your advancement is highly weighted on who you know and who knows you and your abilities.

Cons

NCC needs to do a better job at integrating their customer data. Extracting accurate data about customers and market segments can be very difficult and frustrating. There are multiple systems that are not linked. The company was recently taken over my PNC. Therefore, I am not sure how many jobs will be cut as a result.

Advice to Management

Don't be affair to make a decision.

2. Nice work if you can get it.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National City

Pros

Historically, there has been plenty of room for advancement; managers are usually supportive of those who want to try a different career path. Generally, the lower ranks are composed of smart people who care about their business. The retail network is unparalleled. I have always worked with people who like people, and like helping others.

Cons

There is too much bureaucracy. Things take much too long to get done. There are always too many parties involved and too much talking, not enough doing. I have seen too many instances of people being promoted because their resumes look better than their actual performance. This has resulted in a culture of very polished but not terribly knowledgeable senior managers. There are too many truly talented people jumping ship because they're not pedigreed enough to promote. There's a lot of siloing between lines of business. Sometimes I'm working on something and find out that the same project is going on in another part of the bank. More communication between department heads would be helpful.

Advice to Management

Note to PNC: less McKinsey consultants, more people who actually know banking. Oh, and stick to what NCB does best- boring checking, savings, and straight mortgages to people who can prove how much they earn.