National City
www.nationalcity.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

If the NCB mgmt style is gone with the PNC merger, then it should be okay

Retail Investment Officer (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

ProsThe best reason to work for National City is their benefits but that will probably change with the merger with PNC. The 401K match was very generous except it was with bank stock and most employees probably kept the stock which turned out to be a big mistake! Also, there are truly some very dedicated and professional employees who work in the bank branches who are a pleasure to work beside!

ConsThe coach them up or coach them out management style is the true downside of working at National City. There are people who have been promoted into upper management positions who have had no Organizational Behavior training or Human Resources classes and actually could be putting the bank in postion to be sued with some of their actions. Public ridicule of employees actually occurred in meetings, and I was included in sales meetings which myself and other employees called the "de-motivation" meetings. National City failed for a lot of reasons not just because of the disastrous First Franklin purchase if the behavior of the managers in Louisville was indicative of the rest of the organization. Hopefully, PNC will rid itself of most of the management of National City and keep most of the "worker bees" because they are the true heart of the organization and they have made the retail part of the bank successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your management style. You've re-arranged things a couple of times but you keep using a top down approach. Why don't you try evaluating from the bottom? You do this Gallup poll every year but it doesn't seem to change anything. Middle management needs some work. Some of these folks do not know how to manage people. Their quarterly bonuses drive their management style and I get a quarterly bonus too but I would never ever have let my LFCs think that was my priority more than servicing my clients or assisting them! That is just not the right message to send to the people who do not get the bonus.

Okay place to work depending on your location

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National City

Pros: Current 401k match 1.15:1, may be changing after PNC merger complete Working… Cons: Currently going through a merger with PNC and a lot is unknown Pressure from… Advice to Senior Management: Communicate with lower level employees, they are the heart of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Excellent Place to Work

Office Manager (Current Employee)
    Canton, MI

I have been working at National City

Pros: opportunities for advancement, training, time off and paid holidays. hours… Cons: dealing with customers regarding things beyond your control (policies &… Advice to Senior Management: keep up the great work! This is a great place… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on National City.

Worked for National City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National City reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National City CEO Peter E. Raskind. All reviews posted anonymously by National City employees.