National City

www.nationalcity.com
  www.nationalcity.com
There are newer employer reviews for National City

If the NCB mgmt style is gone with the PNC merger, then it should be okay

Former Employee - Retail Investment Officer in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Retail Investment Officer in Louisville, KY

I worked at National City

Pros

The best reason to work for National City is their benefits but that will probably change with the merger with PNC. The 401K match was very generous except it was with bank stock and most employees probably kept the stock which turned out to be a big mistake! Also, there are truly some very dedicated and professional employees who work in the bank branches who are a pleasure to work beside!

Cons

The coach them up or coach them out management style is the true downside of working at National City. There are people who have been promoted into upper management positions who have had no Organizational Behavior training or Human Resources classes and actually could be putting the bank in postion to be sued with some of their actions. Public ridicule of employees actually occurred in meetings, and I was included in sales meetings which myself and other employees called the "de-motivation" meetings. National City failed for a lot of reasons not just because of the disastrous First Franklin purchase if the behavior of the managers in Louisville was indicative of the rest of the organization. Hopefully, PNC will rid itself of most of the management of National City and keep most of the "worker bees" because they are the true heart of the organization and they have made the retail part of the bank successful.

Re-evaluate your management style. You've re-arranged things a couple of times but you keep using a top down approach. Why don't you try evaluating from the bottom? You do this Gallup poll every year but it doesn't seem to change anything. Middle management needs some work. Some of these folks do not know how to manage people. Their quarterly bonuses drive their management style and I get a quarterly bonus too but I would never ever have let my LFCs think that was my priority more than servicing my clients or assisting them! That is just not the right message to send to the people who do not get the bonus.

90 Other Employee Reviews for National City (View Most Recent)

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Office Manager in Canton, MI
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Canton, MI

I have been working at National City

Pros

opportunities for advancement, training, time off and paid holidays. hours are excellent and work/life balance is stronly encouraged.

Cons

dealing with customers regarding things beyond your control (policies & procedures)

keep up the great work! This is a great place to work.

The worst decision I made was moving to National City.

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at National City

Pros

The pay was very good on the base salary.

Cons

The payout on the investement side was miniscule, between 3-15%. The management is poorly structured with a divide between the investment and bank side and the LFCs caught in between. Some of the Branch Managers have the old mentality that you selling investments is taking away from their deposit base. There is a lack of a good support system. The branch managers spend 75% of their time our of the office on "business calls." When the branch manager is in the office, they refuse to actually do any work, such as opening accounts. I actually had multiple ocassions when I was in the break room eating lunch, and the branch manager came and got me to have me open an account, even though they were doing nothing. The disciplinary techniques are very strange. Your manager will not say anything to you about how you are doing, but then will write you up for something that they never got an explanation for, until the write-up is occurring, and when there is a completely logical explanation, they don't care.

Actually ask questions before writing somebody up, and don't write people up based on hearsay. Have some integrity.

There are newer employer reviews for National City