There are newer employer reviews for National City

its...ok I guess

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Boca Raton, FL
Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at National City

Pros

If you are looking for a salaried position with some (but not great) commision. In the interview process they will try to start you in the low $30s but it is negotiable. Just show them you are a great sales person. First you will interview with HR, then Regional FA, then branch manager.

Cons

it is a duel role (licensed financial consultant) so you will be half customer service (regarding bank accounts) and half financial advisor. Way too many meetings and way too little options regarding investments. You are lucky if you make $60k a year with commisions. They tell you you can double your salary but when you look around at who is doing that its way to few who are. Its all about the market you are in (the branch you will be working with) thats why I left.

Advice to Management

Broaden your investment options and specialize the role instead of having the LFC do everything.

reviews filtered by
  1. Mislead and bad working environment.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Senior Specialist in Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Senior Specialist in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at National City

Pros

The work was simple repetitive tasks. Once you learned what to do, it was 'easy' work.

Cons

Work was extremely repetitive.
    Horrible Management, who relied on e-mails to communicate everything. If they were a desk away, they would e-mail you to say "can you come over to see me". Very impersonal.

Also I was mislead during interview in thinking there were additional opportunities - basically lied to.

Once you are working there, you have no control on what other positions you will be doing. If Management want to move you... you get a day or so notice and you are required to move.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees.
    Give feedback often, including positive.

2. If the NCB mgmt style is gone with the PNC merger, then it should be okay

Former Employee - Retail Investment Officer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Retail Investment Officer in Louisville, KY

I worked at National City

Pros

The best reason to work for National City is their benefits but that will probably change with the merger with PNC. The 401K match was very generous except it was with bank stock and most employees probably kept the stock which turned out to be a big mistake! Also, there are truly some very dedicated and professional employees who work in the bank branches who are a pleasure to work beside!

Cons

The coach them up or coach them out management style is the true downside of working at National City. There are people who have been promoted into upper management positions who have had no Organizational Behavior training or Human Resources classes and actually could be putting the bank in postion to be sued with some of their actions. Public ridicule of employees actually occurred in meetings, and I was included in sales meetings which myself and other employees called the "de-motivation" meetings. National City failed for a lot of reasons not just because of the disastrous First Franklin purchase if the behavior of the managers in Louisville was indicative of the rest of the organization. Hopefully, PNC will rid itself of most of the management of National City and keep most of the "worker bees" because they are the true heart of the organization and they have made the retail part of the bank successful.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your management style. You've re-arranged things a couple of times but you keep using a top down approach. Why don't you try evaluating from the bottom? You do this Gallup poll every year but it doesn't seem to change anything. Middle management needs some work. Some of these folks do not know how to manage people. Their quarterly bonuses drive their management style and I get a quarterly bonus too but I would never ever have let my LFCs think that was my priority more than servicing my clients or assisting them! That is just not the right message to send to the people who do not get the bonus.

There are newer employer reviews for National City