National Community Reinvestment Coalition

Dysfunctional Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Community Reinvestment Coalition

Pros

NCRC is an organization with a tremendous goal. It's too bad the management seems to lack the knowledge and ability to achieve it.

Cons

NCRC's mission brings in some very talented individuals. Unfortunately these same people don't stay long due to low pay, incompetent and unprofessional management, and an overwhelmingly negative work environment.

15 Other Employee Reviews for National Community Reinvestment Coalition (View Most Recent)

If you have any other options at all, don't work here! This should be an absolute last resort.

I have been working at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the (non-senior) staff are cool people and you'll make some lasting friendships here.

Cons

All of the negative reviews already on this site are true. Unless you've worked there you cannot believe the level of dysfunction and mismanagement that occurs at this organization. Case in point: the 1 non-negative review clearly posted by a member of the senior staff whose defense against all of the other reviews is to attack employees and former employees saying that the reviews must come from incompetent, disgruntled former employees. Even if that were accurate, she's saying that the organization continually hires incompetent and passive-aggressive people that they then must either micro-manage or fire; how is that a positive?

Getting back to listing the cons: low pay, dishonest/unethical and incompetent management, constant in-fighting and power plays, complete lack of alignment between the organization's espoused mission and its reality, frequent investigations (many failed by NCRC) by grant-giving government organizations due to the aforementioned mismanagement, bizarre rules such as no group recognition of birthdays because of the management's paranoia, the list goes on and on.

All you need to know if you're considering working there is that I don't know a single person who works there who is happy. Everyone is looking for another job. In the approximately 18 months that I worked there at least 3-4 people quit or were fired every single month. That is an astounding turnover rate for an organization of less than 100 people. Many of the former employees remain friends and we literally have discussions about how our health and wellness improves the very day we say goodbye to this organization.

NCRC is a sinking ship. Don't be on it when it goes down if you don't have to be.

A completely new management team is needed.

The reason I became disenfranchised with non-profits.

I worked at National Community Reinvestment Coalition full-time

Pros

The organization’s mission is to provide opportunities for capital, and access to capital in low to moderate income communities.. Unfortunately, this does not happen due to internal power plays, dysfunctional management, lack of resources/access to resources, mismanagement, incompetency on almost every level, and a total lack of meaningful communication between departments and employees. The majority of the staff (non-Exec) employees are great, they will give you warnings, take note!!

Cons

It is impossible to achieve any goals (short-term to upward mobility), most employees stay for a period of weeks, to a couple of months as soon as they find out what is happening within the organization. I only wish this advise would have been available to me before I accepted a position with this organization. A red flag is the alarming turnover rates, ASK! - Why is this position open, and how many people have been in the position over the last year?

I would advise that entirely new management be put into place. There is constant, inflammatory in-fighting, at the cost of the mission of the organization. The CEO should resign his seat and in his place, put a knowledgeable CEO that can manage processes, and achieve goals.

There are newer employer reviews for National Community Reinvestment Coalition