National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland

www.nflc.org
  www.nflc.org
There are newer employer reviews for National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland

Overall, a passable place to work, but suffers from seriously flawed and unethical practices.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

I have been working at National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work with more government money than should be allowed. The center largely acts as a typical DC middle agency for federal and grant funds. Lots of opportunities for travel on the center's dime and very nice, quirky people to work with. Quite a bit of downtime, so much so that many employees use their time to study for classes, surf dating sites, and watch movies, but don't you dare get caught with a book (ebooks are a good way around that). Paid lunch hour, which is technically not supposed to happen, but it's a nice perk that management ignores. Nice building, with free parking, which is a nice perk when working at UMD. The director is actually competent, in addition to professional and genuinely kind.

Cons

Management and employees, for the most part, are great to work with. HR and the executives however are dismal! One year they told all of us that no one gets a raise, and then they gave themselves raises. They've also had incredibly unfair employment standards where they have fired a few people, all female by the way, some of whom went on to sue the center, win, and been forcibly rehired! Since then, they have wizened up and picked up new tricks. HR has bullied people into leaving the center because the budget called for the firing of somebody and the HR member (she) wanted to save their job. Very high turnover, except for a very small group of people.

Rebuild the HR department from the ground up, consider firing the incredibly and blatantly sexist individual on the exec committee (and everyone knows who he is), stop lying to your employees about funds, and stop treating people like children. Adults don't need dress codes and curfews.

14 Other Employee Reviews for National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland (View Most Recent)

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Coordinator in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Coordinator in College Park, MD

I worked at National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Close to home
    Time off
    University Benefits
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

Negotiating with other employees.
    Not a whole lot of communication from upper management.

Talk to your employees and be honest with them.

Great Company - Poor Management

Former Employee - Exempt Employee in Riverdale, MD
    Former Employee - Exempt Employee in Riverdale, MD

I worked at National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland full-time

Pros

I was able to advance pretty quickly, learning many tools I will use through out my career. I very much enjoyed the other employees, and the friendships I made. They were the best part of working there. I loved my immediate supervisor. She encouraged my growth and gave me avenues to better myself personally and professionally.

Cons

There were clear favorites for upper management. Your performance wasn't always judged by how well you worked. It was also measured by whether they liked you. They grew too fast, and spent money in ways that didn't protect their employees. As a result they needed to let go of a high percentage this year. Of course their favorites were rewarded with raises, while others lost their jobs.

Figure out ways to get the extra work done, until you are sure you need more people. Even if that means you have to work longer hours. You certainly get paid enough.

Work at National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland? Share Your Experiences

National Foreign Language Center, University of Maryland