There are newer employer reviews for National Geographic

Professional environment, but disorganized management.

Former Employee - Imaging Technician in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Imaging Technician in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic

Pros

Great Experience, work with the world's best photographers and equipment. Fellow employees are good people and the environment is good for the work.

Cons

Management is confused and disorganized. Not enough work. Promotions not given fairly, especially to new employees. As a "contract with intent to hire" I was told I would get a raise and an official "staff" position after one year, but they changed the contract to a 2 year agreement without alerting me to the change before I read it. After 2 years, they still refused to give me a standard raise and essentially broke the verbal agreement. I feel they had never intended to "hire" me. You will work as a contractor, not staff, so you don't get the same benefits. They also are more likely to hire the kid who knows next to nothing about photography because he is the son of a board member. They also care more about how many years someone has works there versus actual talent/ability, keeping on board people who have worked there for years but struggle with daily tasks than to keep the contractor who is young and educated in digital imaging, because they weren't there long. The people are friendly, but the managment is confused and disordered. There are 2 managers to fill the same position, and production managers fail to understand the workflow and do not manage any production, instead relying on other staff to do their job while they work on projects intended for a different position so they can get promotions. Had me help train/evaluate overseas contractors who eventually took my job.

Work on arranging your managers so you have the right amount in the right places. Don't keep the people on board who don't low how to do the job just cause they've been there longer. Don't tell new potential employees you will give them raises and promotions if you don't have the budget and never intended to fit it in. Stop exporting jobs overseas!

reviews filtered by

I love working at Nat Geo, this is a very carefree work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Geographic

Pros

I like working here. It is a very relaxing and carefree environment. We have a lot of group activities and team building exercises, I can honestly say this is the first place I've worked that I've actually enjoyed.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints about working here. There are a lot of interns and contractors so people are usually coming in and out of the company. I've also seen favoritism from supervisors towards certain employees, i.e helping them find new jobs when contracts are over but not providing any assistance to others that have worked just as hard. Also there is a 5 year waiting list to park at the Nat Geo garage.

The employees are happy here, I would say keep up the good work. I think they should work on the 401k benefits however. We are only matched 50% after 5 years of working and 100% after 20 years!

2. Great opportunity and learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic

Pros

Great mission, valuable work. Opportunity to be a part of an organization committed to making a difference in the world

Cons

A lot of silos and poor pay. Depending on the department, little room for growth. Old school mentality, at times slow to react

Invest in employee growth and development. Keep people motivated and interested in the Society's mission. Don't be afraid to pay people their worth!

There are newer employer reviews for National Geographic