National Geographic
www.nationalgeographic.com Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Former TV employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at National Geographic

ProsDecent/smart people, good work-life balance, courteous environment, some creative freedom. Good brand. Ethical and honest dealings. Did not always agree with rationales behind strategic choices but felt that they were explained well and fairly.

ConsRelationships can feel cozy/unbusinesslike. Some employees' obvious and consistent poor performance not confronted or dealt with. Offices are untidy, run-down and showing their age -- a little depressing for such a highly-regarded organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so obsessed with people fitting into your culture. Get some smart, hardnosed talent in the door to challenge you and raise your game.

Love the NG Brand, but management team is dysfunctional and narcissistic

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Geographic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Nat Geo Mag is best in class. NG Expeditions Group is well run and generates revenue. Most of revenues are from NG Channel. If… Cons: Management spends more time on lining people up for the next lay off than they do analyzing how to… Advice to Senior Management: Hire smart people, provide training and encouragement, pay a fair wage and recognize / reward superior achievements. Send managers to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

National Geographic

Associate Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Geographic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great people doing the everyday work Cons: Management has been very shaky Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on National Geographic.

Worked for National Geographic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Geographic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Geographic CEO Gary E. Knell . All reviews posted anonymously by National Geographic employees.