There are newer employer reviews for National Grid USA

Friendly working environment.

Former Employee - Student Intern in Syracuse, NY
Former Employee - Student Intern in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Grid USA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was working as a student intern in the company. People there are very proud of their work and very helpful. I can learn a lot from my co-workers from various disciplines.
Very good training process for new employees.

Cons

The work is kind of similar from day to day, no of much inovation.

A very good manager. I don't have suggestions.

115 Other Employee Reviews for National Grid USA (View Most Recent)

Sweatshop passing itself off as a ulility company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you were Niagara Mohawk (National Grid bought them out) it's a fine and dandy place to work for as you're part of something referred to as a 'blue contract' where you have guaranteed raises, bonuses etc. You do very little work (not what I aspired to but resent ANYONE not doing their work let alone those get EVERYTHING better than me and then expecting me to do theirs on top of mine as well) and just collect a huge salary.

Cons

'Gold Contract' aka sweatshop contract. A separate contract you're submitted to even thought it's not a closed shop whereby you're due increase $2 plus every year and your benefit nor does your pay increase. Paying to park there. Being harrassed and forced to do other department's job on top of your own because they fire said dept's staff so they can save themselves the salaries. Being told they have the money to give you a raise but 'you're not worth it.' I could go on and on. National Grid should be shut down for all the labor laws they break but they seem to believe they're above such laws - or ANY laws for that matter.

Sell the company back to an American investor and either act like human beings that treat employees' as such or just close up show and let some decent real company provide the gas and heAT.

Great company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Union protection, benefits, wonderful people. I was only there for a contract position but I had a chance to view the atmosphere and general opinions of the employees. Although people sometimes moan and groan, they all realized how they enjoyed working there. It was evident by how many years they were there.

Cons

You will have to work holidays and the night shift at the beginning.

There are newer employer reviews for National Grid USA