Great company culture

Current Contractor - Transformation Project Manager in New York, NY
Current Contractor - Transformation Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at National Grid USA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company maintains a healthy work environment focused on professionalism and great customer service. Management is customer focused and fiercely diligent about regulatory and safety requirements. Training, learning and development are also significantly promoted among the ranks.

Cons

Re organization efforts disrupted the culture. Decreased morale was and continues to be a necessary by-product.

Advice to Management

Continue to manage change by encouraging employees to stay abreast of the times, sharpen their skills and take ownership of their careers.

Other Employee Reviews for National Grid USA

1. Great company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Union protection, benefits, wonderful people. I was only there for a contract position but I had a chance to view the atmosphere and general opinions of the employees. Although people sometimes moan and groan, they all realized how they enjoyed working there. It was evident by how many years they were there.

Cons

You will have to work holidays and the night shift at the beginning.

Sweatshop passing itself off as a ulility company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at National Grid USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you were Niagara Mohawk (National Grid bought them out) it's a fine and dandy place to work for as you're part of something referred to as a 'blue contract' where you have guaranteed raises, bonuses etc. You do very little work (not what I aspired to but resent ANYONE not doing their work let alone those get EVERYTHING better than me and then expecting me to do theirs on top of mine as well) and just collect a huge salary.

Cons

'Gold Contract' aka sweatshop contract. A separate contract you're submitted to even thought it's not a closed shop whereby you're due increase $2 plus every year and your benefit nor does your pay increase. Paying to park there. Being harrassed and forced to do other department's job on top of your own because they fire said dept's staff so they can save themselves the salaries. Being told they have the money to give you a raise but 'you're not worth it.' I could go on and on. National Grid should be shut down for all the labor laws they break but they seem to believe they're above such laws - or ANY laws for that matter.

Advice to Management

Sell the company back to an American investor and either act like human beings that treat employees' as such or just close up show and let some decent real company provide the gas and heAT.