National Heritage Academies

www.nhaschools.com

I am a teacher of over 5 years, currently working in an elementary classroom.

Current Employee - Music Teacher  in  Grand Rapids, MI
Current Employee - Music Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Strong moral focus emphasis; teachers committed to their craft and helping students reach potential. Majority of parents are engaged, supportive, and interested helping their children meet with success.
Good benefits!

Cons

Corporation is heavy-handed; curriculum changes frequently as does report card. Little support in terms of textbooks and materials. I feel this is, in part, due to the frequent changes that take place within the curriculum. Not a fan of the dean model which involves frequent classroom observations and feedback which is given during "planning" period. I can be trusted to be a good, even excellent, teacher who wants the best for my students.
More and more of our planning time is taken up with mandatory tasks and meetings. Many playground supervisions required as well. NHA schools ask more of their teachers than traditional public schools and for less pay.

Before implementing more changes in curriculum, plan for resources to support your teachers in the classrooms.

Other reviews for National Heritage Academies

Not worth it.

Former Employee - Middle School Social Studies Teacher  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Middle School Social Studies Teacher in Detroit, MI

Pros

-Good training
    -Good teaching resources
    -Great for students and parents
    -Standardized classroom rules/expectations

Cons

-NO FREE TIME (most teachers work 12 hour days and they tend to take away your prep)
    -Extremely overwork their teachers (often taking evenings and weekends)
    -Compensation (one of lowest)
    -Ostracization (if you do not put in all the expected time, you WILL feel ostracized)
    -High turn over rate for good reason (see reviews made by teachers)

I love the new teacher training and resources available. I really felt ready to teach after receiving my orientation.

However, the teachers are very overworked at this company with some of the lowest compensation packages I've ever come across. Many teachers I've spoken with have made statement such as "I have not been able to spend time with my son for weeks."

Simply put: your teachers are overworked to a level I have never seen before. You will continue seeing high turn over rates because of this.

Summer program Para Pro

Former Employee - Paraprofessional  in  Hamtramck, MI
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Hamtramck, MI

Pros

Great company to work for. These teachers really are looking out for their students. Working hard to bring out the best of each student.

Cons

Can't seem to get back into the company. I know I did a good job while there, I just can's seem to be able to connect to the right people to help me get back in.

Take advantage of older worker, they have a lot to offer, and are willing to give the job the very best of it.

There are newer employer reviews for National Heritage Academies.

Worked for National Heritage Academies? Contribute to the Community!