There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

Good place to start...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

good co-workers, on-site doctor and gym, CEO and founder still at helm

Cons

poor pay structure, consensus-driven decision making,promotions too entrenched in social circles/playing politics, middle-management sucks, limited/slow growth opportunities

consider trimming the fat - lots of inefficiency hiding in the middle layers of the company,...makes growth for true innovators difficult as promotions/ideas are controlled and people are forced to under perform to keep their jobs

619 Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments (View Most Recent)

If You Have To Work It Might As Well Be On Something Interesting

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

I enjoy the project that I work on. I feel like I have a lot of freedom in the technical decisions that I make.

Cons

I think the pay could be a little better. I've been at NI for many years and I hardly make more than when I was hired (of course, I was hired right before the great economic collapse of 2008 and like almost all NI employees I didn't lose my job so.....)

Maybe try and be a little more competitive with pay. That actually applies extra for remote R&D facilities. My group works closely with another group in another country and we frequently lose good people from that group because of issues dealing with overwork and pay. If you are going to try and save a little money by opening a remote R&D facility (notice to the readers, NI doesn't lay off employees in Austin to staff these facilities, they just start growing more slowly in Austin) then can't you spare a little bit extra to pay them competitively so we can get the best?

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

NI has a great culture, honest management, competitive pay, great benefits, awesome products, an on site doctor, on site gym, three cafeterias, Austin is a great city. It all adds up to a great place to build a career.

Cons

You might be able to make a few dollars more somewhere else, especially mid career, but if you stick it out and perform you will be rewarded. This is a rare company that you can spend a career at.

Keep your eye on the 100 year plan and do not fall into the trap of paying attention to the analysts quarterly expectations.

There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!