There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

Great company to start a career. Leave after 3-4 years.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

Good company to start a career with, especially if you only have a bachelor's degree in engineering (more about graduate degrees below). Good people. Laid-back atmosphere. Open communication. Volleyball. Deck parties.

Cons

Absolutely ridiculous salaries. Non-respectful of graduate degrees (company gave 1.5K raise over other bachelor's candidates for a 2-year full-time master's degree !!!!). No great bonuses or salary raises in following years either.

My advice: Ok to be there when you are young (22-26). Enjoy the time, make some friends, play volleyball and drink beer at work (yes, it is allowed). Leave when you start having a family/buying a house to get some real value for your education and qualifications as a few beers during the deck parties don't pay for your mortgage/wedding check at that point of the life.

Advice to Management

Look around and increase the salaries !!

reviews filtered by

If You Have To Work It Might As Well Be On Something Interesting

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

I enjoy the project that I work on. I feel like I have a lot of freedom in the technical decisions that I make.

Cons

I think the pay could be a little better. I've been at NI for many years and I hardly make more than when I was hired (of course, I was hired right before the great economic collapse of 2008 and like almost all NI employees I didn't lose my job so.....)

Advice to Management

Maybe try and be a little more competitive with pay. That actually applies extra for remote R&D facilities. My group works closely with another group in another country and we frequently lose good people from that group because of issues dealing with overwork and pay. If you are going to try and save a little money by opening a remote R&D facility (notice to the readers, NI doesn't lay off employees in Austin to staff these facilities, they just start growing more slowly in Austin) then can't you spare a little bit extra to pay them competitively so we can get the best?

2. Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

The environment is healthy, relaxed and open.

Cons

Salary is below average, still nothing to be concerned.

Advice to Management

Improve the salary basis.