National Instruments
www.ni.com Austin, TX 5000+ Employees

Very good place to work. The only catch is the lack of big money.

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at National Instruments

ProsThe people are all nice. They are all honest, and management is very clear on what the companies vision and mission is. It's a relaxed work environment with good benefits and competent staff.

One of the companies cores values is constant respect for people, and I've really seen this happen, all employees are treated fairly and respectfully. Everybody gets a cubicle, there are no private offices. I used to work as a software engineer just out of school for the first year or so I was there, and I saw the VP of engineering twice in that span of time. I was shocked when he remembered who I was on the second visit. It's the kind of place where you can chat with a director, share lunch with a section manager and interview interns in your first year.

ConsThe money is only average. Senior management also tends to be a little penny-wise but pound-foolish at times. The technologies you work on are somewhat company specific, so you need to work a little extra hard to make sure that you're still hireable outside of NI.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think senior management is doing a pretty good job. Maybe give everybody a payhike. Especially the guys in B'lore - they're just as competent as the folks working for MS, Adobe, Intuit or Yahoo, but they get paid something like 60% of what these other guys make.

Not bad to work in National Instruments.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros: First, the company gives enough respect to the employees. You can tell your opinion to your manager and tech leader. And they also give enough… Cons: The management and the development procedure is not good enough. The procedure can be different from one project to another. So the quality of… Advice to Senior Management: Think about to improve the development procedure. More

the "best and the brightest..." but to what end?

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros: Phenomenal coworkers and a rich work atmosphere. NI's philosophy of recruiting the "best and the brightest" really shines in the quality of people it employs.… Cons: Not many opportunities for vertical career advancement; career openings appear in more of a horizontal position. Sometimes it's hard to be motivated for extra work… Advice to Senior Management: Management should communicate criticisms/feedback in a more direct and less flowery way. Don't try to be friends and managers at the same… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on National Instruments.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.