National Instruments
www.ni.com Austin, TX 5000+ Employees

Excellent company for an internship and seems excellent overall

Software Engineering Intern I (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

ProsCompetitive pay (for an intern)
Lots of other interns and an unusually outgoing culture
Plenty of guidance. Interns get a mentor for guidance about broader topics (how are you liking it here, here's what you can do in Austin, what can I do for you?) and a tech lead who always has time for technical problems (at least mine did)
Employees all enjoy their jobs, pretty much without exception. You'll hear complaints once in a while but no I met one actually disliked their job in general.
The company plans intern events, helps interns communicate with each other, and general cares about making sure they're having a good time in and out of work.
Being an intern certainly gives you a foot in the door and lots of interns received full-time offers. Lots of full-timers were once interns.
Austin is a very cool city with a lot to do

-- What I suspect from only working there for a few months --
I believe this company puts their employees first, above shareholders and customers and whomever else. The leadership seems pretty conservative and aims for steady, sustainable, long-term growth rather than immediate boom. During downturns everyone tightens their belts and no one gets laid-off.
Overtime seems quite rare here, at least where I worked. NI generally promotes a healthy work-life balance and they seem to mean it. My co-workers would mostly show up at 9 or 9:30 and leave at around 5:00. I would show up a little later and leave at about 5:30 and I would almost always be the last person out then. Employees will often go off to lunch for like two hours in the middle of the day and still leave at 5:00! If I had to guess I'd say that other people in my group were working about 36 hours per week not counting lunch. Interns actually worked the most because we had time cards and we were expected to work 40 hours per week.
At current NI seems to be having a mini-Renaissance and emerging from a short period of revenue loss with very strong revenue gains. Overall I was very optimistic about the future of this company and everyone else seemed to be too.

ConsIntern pay is actually pretty good but I hear often that full-time pay is average at best.
Austin is very, very hot in the summer. For about a month the temperature was over 100 degrees all day every day.
Although Austin itself is very interesting, it's kind of an island in that sense. The only other major city it's worth making a day-trip to is San Antonio. Dallas is about 3 hours away. But I'm from the bay area so maybe I'm judging too harshly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the intern program as it is! Think about paying full-timers better.

One of the best tech companies to work for

Staff Digital Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: NI works very hard to provide an awesome work environment for its people. They also strive to be a reliable employer. They put their employees… Cons: NI salaries are not the highest, although this is somewhat intentional since NI doesn't want to attract salary chasers who change jobs every… Advice to Senior Management: NI has been very successful at hiring the best and the brightest, but I am concerned that… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A very strange company

Software (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Some very smart people here, and there are opportunities to learn and experience things beyond the job description. Very stable company that serves all… Cons: The company hires mostly direct from college and the young age and relative inexperience has the employees believing their own hype. You can grow… Advice to Senior Management: Your top management isn't the reason for your success. Spread the wealth, and reward your staff employees rather than giving… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on National Instruments.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.