National Instruments

www.ni.com
  www.ni.com
There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

Pretty awesome place to work

Current Employee - Staff Hardware Technician in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Staff Hardware Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty laid back atmosphere. As long as I come in between 8ish and 930is and work about 40 hours a week they're happy. The manufacturing side is more strict about scheduling. The dress code is pretty casual, about the only people in suits are the ones in sales.

Cons

Can be a steep learning curve with some of the stuff they used.

655 Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments (View Most Recent)

Amazingly creative and diverse teams

Current Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (less than an year)

Pros

National Instruments has a very high retention rate of employees, and for a good reason. There is a very creative atmosphere, the management listens to creative ideas, the benefits are top tier, and you meet many people who are actually happy to come to work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

None that I can think of.

Excellent company for an internship and seems excellent overall

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern I in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay (for an intern)
    Lots of other interns and an unusually outgoing culture
    Plenty of guidance. Interns get a mentor for guidance about broader topics (how are you liking it here, here's what you can do in Austin, what can I do for you?) and a tech lead who always has time for technical problems (at least mine did)
    Employees all enjoy their jobs, pretty much without exception. You'll hear complaints once in a while but no I met one actually disliked their job in general.
    The company plans intern events, helps interns communicate with each other, and general cares about making sure they're having a good time in and out of work.
    Being an intern certainly gives you a foot in the door and lots of interns received full-time offers. Lots of full-timers were once interns.
    Austin is a very cool city with a lot to do

-- What I suspect from only working there for a few months --
    I believe this company puts their employees first, above shareholders and customers and whomever else. The leadership seems pretty conservative and aims for steady, sustainable, long-term growth rather than immediate boom. During downturns everyone tightens their belts and no one gets laid-off.
    Overtime seems quite rare here, at least where I worked. NI generally promotes a healthy work-life balance and they seem to mean it. My co-workers would mostly show up at 9 or 9:30 and leave at around 5:00. I would show up a little later and leave at about 5:30 and I would almost always be the last person out then. Employees will often go off to lunch for like two hours in the middle of the day and still leave at 5:00! If I had to guess I'd say that other people in my group were working about 36 hours per week not counting lunch. Interns actually worked the most because we had time cards and we were expected to work 40 hours per week.
    At current NI seems to be having a mini-Renaissance and emerging from a short period of revenue loss with very strong revenue gains. Overall I was very optimistic about the future of this company and everyone else seemed to be too.

Cons

Intern pay is actually pretty good but I hear often that full-time pay is average at best.
    Austin is very, very hot in the summer. For about a month the temperature was over 100 degrees all day every day.
    Although Austin itself is very interesting, it's kind of an island in that sense. The only other major city it's worth making a day-trip to is San Antonio. Dallas is about 3 hours away. But I'm from the bay area so maybe I'm judging too harshly.

Keep the intern program as it is! Think about paying full-timers better.

There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments