National Instruments

www.ni.com

A company that really cares about its employees

Product Support Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe atmosphere and the attitude of all the employees is amazing. It is very relaxed, but at the same time everyone likes to work hard and you will get recognized for working hard. Management is genuinely concerned about making sure that employees enjoy their job. I look forward to going to work every day.

NI has never had mass layoffs. During the recession, everyone (including management) took a pay cut to avoid layoffs. After the initial recession was over, all pay was restored. This says a lot about the company.

Because the company is growing quickly, there are plenty of opportunities for advancement, and it is very merit based, not tenure based.

Positions have core responsibilities, but there is also a lot of flexibility in how you spend the rest of your time, so if you see something you would like to do, you can. In my role I am given a lot of autonomy and appreciate that I have the trust of management to spend my time wisely. This is definitely not a micro-management company. If you are very motivated and a self starter, you can really excel here.

ConsTo really excel quickly, you will find yourself working long hours, but this is by no means required.

The salary is a bit lower than some other engineering companies. This makes sense initially because there is a large up front cost to recruit and train new employees, however the lower starting salary means that in the long term employees have a lower salary than competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the concerns with salary to increase employee retention. There is a disconnect between the salary of the sales engineers and the R&D engineers.

Good place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros: Very friendly coworkers, the managers care about the accomplishment and… Cons: The salary is not very good, comparing to other high-tech… Advice to Senior Management: Provide free food!! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Consensus-driven, but really CEO-driven, culture prevents change and decision-making

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros: NI has a very laid-back atmosphere and the company promotes… Cons: The company shuns experienced hires, especially if you do not have an engineering or technical background. As someone with many years of experience, I… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on the customer, not on yourselves. Stop playing favorites with just the same handful of people. Get out… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on National Instruments.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!