There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Intern in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Hardware Engineering Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Great work/life balance
Plenty of opportunity for growth
Laid back, low stress work environment
Seems to really care about its employees

Cons

You could probably find higher pay elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place to work. Pay is below average -- too bad too, because NI is losing a lot of experienced talent.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

I'm young, and almost everyone else there is young. So if your about the age of "just out of college" you should fit right in. It's a pretty laid back place to work with a lot of bright people.

Cons

Easy, the pay. I feel I have made major contributions and have even received company recognition (and performance bonuses). However, even though I feel I have been given above average pay raises compared to other employees, I still find my salary about average compared to the industry. If I wasn't a top performer, I would be very dissatisfied with my salary. Even so, I feel the need to explore other options, solely for compensation reasons. I have seen others here that have been here around ten years and I don't really see much of an improvement in lifestyle compared to what I am at currently. I do think the company has a better time retaining management than the engineers...

Advice to Management

Limit the number in management and compensate your engineers more...

2. A great job for young people.

Current Employee - DTP Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - DTP Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Excellent job experience. Young crowd. Generally nice place to work with lots of flexibility. Senior management is quite competent. They are unlikely to lay you off if they can find a way to avoid that - no matter how bad the economy gets.

Cons

Young people are preferred. There is not much reward for advancing in your career. If you are not an engineer, you can feel very undervalued. If you reach 30 years old, you may feel like you don't fit in anymore. Consider this a 5 year job, at most.

Advice to Management

The business model seems to work as the company continues to grow. I need 20 words here so this sentence has been written.