National Instruments

There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

Technical Sales Rep

Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gave me alot of good job experience in sales. I met some very nice people and loved my co-workers. Learned good phone techniques for sales, learned oracle databases for our CRM.

Cons

Pay is crap, they are not a flexible work place, you live and die by the clock. I doubled my salary by going elsewhere.. oh and if you are a non-engineer forget about ever being promoted

pay better! People with non-engineering degree have talent too!!

655 Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments (View Most Recent)

Fun and exciting place to spend your first 5 years

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

NI is a great place to learn everything from programming, to marketing, to leadership skills. Because the company is primarily made up of engineers, you have the opportunity to move into any discipline in the company if it interests you and you set your mind on it (if you are an engineer).

The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy.

Senior management is conservative. The company has no debt and the customer base is very diverse. Their website is great at offloading transactional sales from the direct sales force.

Cons

Everyone complains about compensation, but very few people seem to leave. When you reach somewhere between 5 to 10 years, you will have learned a ton and be more than ready for "the real world." In fact you will excel there. NI hires the majority of people right out of college, which means most people have not worked anywhere else. Leaving the only place you know, especially if it is great (other than pay) is a scary proposition. If you are a top performer, leave. It is worth it. You will never be paid what you hope.

Do the math ~$1B revenue / ~7000 employees = $143k per employee! That is before you pay for all of the other expenses, including the cost of the products you are selling, the building, marketing, NIWeek, etc.

NI is a great place to work, but it's not the only great place. I'm thankful for my time at NI and I'm also thankful I won't be wondering "what if" after sticking around for an entire career.

The pendulum has swung too far. Job security and stability mean thousands of people pulling down the compensation. There are groups working really hard and other groups doing next to nothing.

Your top performers would thank you for a layoff.

As they say, "Great place to launch a career"

Current Employee - ELP Engineer (Applications Engineer) in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - ELP Engineer (Applications Engineer) in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very extensive training programs ranging from technical proficiencies, leadership development, customer support and best practices in sales
    - Relaxed/fun work environment
    - Little oversight, laxed work hours
    - Easy to network and gain exposure
    - Great culture
    - Ability to drive your own initiatives and career

Cons

- The group environment, especially ELP, can be quite distracting and hard to focus
    - Salary is low and raises are rare
    - Rare to have a structured routine for a work day, need to be highly adaptable every day
    - Quite easy to work 50+ hour work weeks

Provide proper (and truthful) recruiting messages to ELP and do not sugar coat the job prospects or the salary and potential for raises.

There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments