National Instruments

www.ni.com
  www.ni.com
There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

We're not a small company anymore; let's act like adults.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

If you are the type that never wants a dull moment, National Instruments is the place to be. Anyone who is driven to move up and around the corporate structure, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. As long as you put in creative and hard work, you are encouraged and supported to do great things.

Cons

If you are looking for a stable environment where you are not constantly pressured to go over and beyond expectations, you typically do not fare well at National Instruments. Those people that just want the normal 9-5 job are often alienated from the rest of the group that sacrifice the work-life balance to get ahead. If you dont' fit in, you slowly get "expunged like a virus," as stated in the company's favorite book, "Built to Last."

As we get closer to becoming a $1B company, we need to start operating like one. Our process needs to evolve from the consensus-driven operation that may have worked when we were small. We also need to start paying employees a competitive salary if we want to retain the "best and brightest" that we hire.

655 Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments (View Most Recent)

Work/life balance is a plus, but internal politics make it hard to get work done

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Work/life balance makes it easy to get things done outside of work - in fact many employees have businesses on the side. The company benefits are also great, but this results in a smaller salary compared to other companies in industry.

Cons

Communication within the company and company politics make it hard to do the right thing. Senior Management is great - it's middle management that has no idea what it's doing. Employees are promoted through seniority, rather than job performance. Again, salary is below standard for industry, but in some instances it is okay since the company tends to higher those that are younger and have less experience, while training them to do the job they were hired for.

Hold groups and individuals accountable for their work, too man people have been promoted for showing their loyalty to the company.

A Great Place to Start a Career

Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Project Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

A great place to launch a career. Since the company is growing, there are clear paths to take your career upward. Also, since the company is focused around R&D (most of the senior manangement came from that deparartment) a clearly defined technical track is available - no need to leave an engineering position in order to achieve a promotion.

Since the vast majority of incoming employees have just completed their undergraduate degrees, the company feels very young, and I've made some of my best friends in Austin from my pool of coworkers.

Austin is a reason to work here in itself.

Cons

Pay is slightly below average. Management continues to act as if they are a small startup and continually promote a 20-40% growth message without providing clear direction how that is achievable.

Give the company clear direction. Stop beating the "Built to Last" cheerleading routine to death.

There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments