There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

We're not a small company anymore; let's act like adults.

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

If you are the type that never wants a dull moment, National Instruments is the place to be. Anyone who is driven to move up and around the corporate structure, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. As long as you put in creative and hard work, you are encouraged and supported to do great things.

Cons

If you are looking for a stable environment where you are not constantly pressured to go over and beyond expectations, you typically do not fare well at National Instruments. Those people that just want the normal 9-5 job are often alienated from the rest of the group that sacrifice the work-life balance to get ahead. If you dont' fit in, you slowly get "expunged like a virus," as stated in the company's favorite book, "Built to Last."

Advice to Management

As we get closer to becoming a $1B company, we need to start operating like one. Our process needs to evolve from the consensus-driven operation that may have worked when we were small. We also need to start paying employees a competitive salary if we want to retain the "best and brightest" that we hire.

reviews filtered by

Unfortunately not the best place to advance your career.

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments

Pros

Good work/life balance, job security, great benefits.

Cons

All these pertain to IT: Very disorganized in most aspects, unclear career paths, managers play favorites, enormous amounts of pointless meetings, very slow path to getting promoted (which kills motivation), very lacking in training initiatives, discord amongst teams, too many projects get drawn out then eventually canceled. This is the wrong place for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites, help junior programmers advance in their careers instead of focusing ONLY on what the senior people have to say. Also, work hard to shake the image that IT is not respected in the company - that's terrible for employee morale, especially for ambitious people right out of college.

2. Work/life balance is a plus, but internal politics make it hard to get work done

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros

Work/life balance makes it easy to get things done outside of work - in fact many employees have businesses on the side. The company benefits are also great, but this results in a smaller salary compared to other companies in industry.

Cons

Communication within the company and company politics make it hard to do the right thing. Senior Management is great - it's middle management that has no idea what it's doing. Employees are promoted through seniority, rather than job performance. Again, salary is below standard for industry, but in some instances it is okay since the company tends to higher those that are younger and have less experience, while training them to do the job they were hired for.

Advice to Management

Hold groups and individuals accountable for their work, too man people have been promoted for showing their loyalty to the company.