National Instruments
www.ni.com Austin, TX 5000+ Employees

We're not a small company anymore; let's act like adults.

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

ProsIf you are the type that never wants a dull moment, National Instruments is the place to be. Anyone who is driven to move up and around the corporate structure, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. As long as you put in creative and hard work, you are encouraged and supported to do great things.

ConsIf you are looking for a stable environment where you are not constantly pressured to go over and beyond expectations, you typically do not fare well at National Instruments. Those people that just want the normal 9-5 job are often alienated from the rest of the group that sacrifice the work-life balance to get ahead. If you dont' fit in, you slowly get "expunged like a virus," as stated in the company's favorite book, "Built to Last."

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we get closer to becoming a $1B company, we need to start operating like one. Our process needs to evolve from the consensus-driven operation that may have worked when we were small. We also need to start paying employees a competitive salary if we want to retain the "best and brightest" that we hire.

Unfortunately not the best place to advance your career.

Programmer Analyst I (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments

Pros: Good work/life balance, job security, great benefits. Cons: All these pertain to IT: Very disorganized in most aspects, unclear career paths, managers play favorites, enormous amounts of pointless meetings, very slow path to… Advice to Senior Management: Don't play favorites, help junior programmers advance in their careers instead of focusing ONLY on what the senior people have to say. Also, work hard… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Work/life balance is a plus, but internal politics make it hard to get work done

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros: Work/life balance makes it easy to get things done outside of work - in fact many employees have businesses on the… Cons: Communication within the company and company politics make it hard to do the right thing. Senior Management is great - it's middle management that… Advice to Senior Management: Hold groups and individuals accountable for their work, too man… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on National Instruments.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All reviews posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.