National Instruments

www.ni.com
There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

Great place to start at

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The projects are very interesting and enjoyable to work on. The benefits are good, and the opportunities to learn new things when you start are many. I get to wear shorts everyday and occasionally drink beer at work functions. Talk about nice culture. There are decent opportunities for career growth. The CEO, CFO, and other executives are pretty great. They've been able to weather two recessions now without any layoffs.

Cons

It seems like the company is currently going through some growing pains. I'm sure they will eventually work through it, but the company isn't really growing. Salary quickly falls behind the industry average after a few years of employment.

Might need to try new strategies if the company hasn't been growing, rather than waiting to weather the storm or trying to squeeze every little thing for more profit.

657 Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments (View Most Recent)

Quickly growing company with fun work environment

Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My work always felt important and necessary to keep the company going. My boss was a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to teach and answer questions.

Cons

The internally used technology was a bit outdated and sometimes very frustrating. My computer was also a bit outdated. I also felt like some days I would get stuck at my desk working nonstop.

An Above Average Job

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NI is very flexible with your schedule. I never feel guilty showing up a little late for work, taking a long lunch, etc. As long as I put in my 40 hours, I don't get hassled.

The work is interesting. Sometimes it is so interesting that I put in extra hours because I want to, not because I'm expected to.

The people are extremely smart and you will learn a lot. The work is challenging so there is a lot to learn.

For the most part, management is pretty capable and transparent.

Cons

Salary is poor. Raises are poor. Promotions come with little or no extra money. Benefits are average.

Start investing more in your employees. I have seen a lot of good talent leave in the last year for higher paying jobs. NI has a good company culture, but you can't feed your family with good culture.

There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments