There are newer employer reviews for National Oilwell Varco

Good Company, Crappy Boss

Former Employee - B2B Representative in Houston, TX
Former Employee - B2B Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, Company Appreciation, Benefits, Lots of Locations.

Cons

Horrible Boss!!!!! Serious ego trips.

Don't put unpersonable people in management positions.

307 Other Employee Reviews for National Oilwell Varco (View Most Recent)

grow young engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Solid technology and engineering foundation;
    2. Good opportunities for people who have the aspirations;
    3. Good work/life balance

Cons

1. Middle management to improve capacity
    2. Low salary relative to the industry

empower middle management of the company

If you want to move up, you have to move out or know someone.

Former Employee - Various in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Various in Houston, TX

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a big company that owns the oil field market.

Cons

You can see the trend in other reviews. Either the reviewer is young with little experience and likes NOV for the opportunity, or they're a bit older and complaining that you need to know someone to get advanced. NOV is the good ol' boy network on steroids. I worked for them for quite a few years before I finally got fed up and left. I also got several advancements, so this is not a sour grapes review.
    NOV's customers absolutely hate them, and will go to any other vendor to try to get parts and supplies, given the chance. This means that NOV will eventually go out of business, if they get even a modicum of competition. They have avoided this by buying the competition, so far. The products are over-priced and under-supported.
    Basically, the business model of NOV is to acquire a top-of-the-line company, put its leadership into a VP slot, and run off the experienced (read: higher-paid) engineers and designers then hire folks off the street or from their circle of friends to be the management group. They then run that product into the ground until their customers look elsewhere. If "elsewhere" starts to get any market foothold, then NOV buys them and repeats the process.
    This model cannot be sustained in the long run. I would expect to see NOV selling off assets when the next downturn happens in the oil patch. Their customers will buy elsewhere for less as soon as they have the time to shop around. Right now, there is no time to go elsewhere, so the "one-stop-shop" of NOV gets the whole bid. When money becomes on par with time for projects, NOV will lose out. When money is more valuable than time on projects, NOV will plummet in sales. It is just a matter of time.
    Part of the "other" this review asks for is the 6 month outlook. I selected "down," but only for the long-term outlook. I don't know if the next downturn will be in 6 months or a year, or more, but I do know that the oil patch goes through cycles, and only well-liked and customer-oriented companies make it through the downturns intact. NOV falls into neither category.

Actually try to see things from the customer's point of view. Would you go back to a company that cheated you when they had the opportunity?

Neither will they when they get the time to look elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for National Oilwell Varco