National Park Service

www.nps.gov

Park Ranger

Former Employee - Park Ranger  in  Mammoth Cave National Park, KY
Former Employee - Park Ranger in Mammoth Cave National Park, KY

Pros

This job allowed me to practice my public speaking skills, meet amazing people, and give something back to my country while protecting a precious natural resource. I felt that my input was valued and what I did made a difference.

Cons

It is very hard to get hired in the first place and most job opportunities are temporary or part-time which is very frustrating. The application process can also be a little bit confusing since it is all computerized.

Other reviews for National Park Service

The Experience of a Lifetime

Former Employee - Park Ranger - Law Enforcement  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Park Ranger - Law Enforcement in Denver, CO

Pros

Great work locations, good coworkers, close-nit. Pay is decent for most areas as long as you can get park housing. All in all, it's an outstanding job and I would encourage anyone to consider working a summer or two.

Cons

Mission 66 Housing, advancing in the GS ranks isn't easy.

Create a program where long-term seasonal employees have preference in hiring for perm positions.

Comfortable, productive atmosphere that lacked the spark of liveliness, which I love, found in the private sector.

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Friendly, supportive, and productive team and managers.

Rewarding job satisfaction that comes with working for an agency with which you wholeheartedly agree with.

Cons

Fairly dull, boring atmosphere. I believe this is the case with many public sector positions and this might be the last taste I will give myself. Perfect for some, too dry for others.

Remind employees of their accomplishments and worthiness to the agency. Give them feedback as much as possible on where to improve at times and especially what they're doing great already. Try to create an environment where their voice is heard and they are constantly learning. This may produce a happier and livelier labor base that wants to respond, grow, and succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for National Park Service.

Worked for National Park Service? Contribute to the Community!