National Park Service
www.nps.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Great mission, interesting work, bad retention strategies

Park Ranger (Current Employee)

ProsMission-oriented. Friendly people. Interesting work... And you may even go outside occasionally!

ConsMission-oriented agency means a LOT of people are willing to do this work for vastly less than they deserve, which is why as an agency our positions are under-graded and often temporary with no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee retention and on bringing in new, bright people. Breaking into the NPS is a nightmare these days and while I did it, the number of incredibly gifted people I've seen passed up is the primary reason why I'm looking to leave myself.

NPS

Procurement Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Park Service full-time for more than a year

Pros: The overall mission of the NPS is laudable -- America's… Cons: Organizational structure confused -- leadership lacking Advice to Senior Management: Communicating better is essential Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Beautiful places to work

Interpretive Park Ranger (Former Employee)
    Akron, OH

I worked at National Park Service part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: I worked as a seasonal Interpretive Park Ranger. This position provided me with opportunities to explore beautiful places and gain excellent costumer service skills. Became… Cons: Very limited full-time opportunities. Most positions with NPS are seasonal. Also, you will need to be willing to move around, which was fine when I… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on National Park Service.

Worked for National Park Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Park Service reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for National Park Service CEO Jonathan B. Jarvis. All reviews posted anonymously by National Park Service employees.