Promises often broken

Former Employee - Interpretive Park Ranger in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Interpretive Park Ranger in Washington, DC

I worked at National Park Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great parks and historic sites

Cons

Employment practices are unfair, promises concerning employment are repeatedly broken (for myself and many others), either management does not understand HR policies or the policies keep changing. The majority of jobs are temporary, and will not be extended, despite promises to the contrary. They will cut lose good workers who are already trained, promise to rehire in 6 months, change the rules, and hire new employees. Veteran's preference figures strongly.

Advice to Management

There are so many wonderful, dedicated and TRAINED park rangers that NPS management needs to rehire. HR is poorly run. Rangers who've already worked at a particular site are often classified by HR as unqualified to do the same job they've already done. It makes no sense.

Other Employee Reviews for National Park Service

Such important work!

Current Contractor - Museum Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Museum Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at National Park Service as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Taking care of our nation's treasures and making them accessible to the public.

Cons

Many staff are in it for the retirement and are resistant to change/innovation.

Advice to Management

Shake it up when you can! Innovate, and leverage the faith the public has in you.

2. The National Park Service is a great place to volunteer.

Former Intern - Visitor Center Volunteer
    Former Intern - Visitor Center Volunteer

I worked at National Park Service as an intern

Pros

The people you'll work with are great and the work you'll do is rewarding. I had a great supervisor too.

Cons

From what I've heard, it's a pain to get hired on as a permanent employee (the park unit I was at sometimes had only an unpaid volunteer at the visitor center.)