National Security Technologies

Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at National Security Technologies

Pros

Government holidays and great benefits

Cons

Growth development and salary ranges

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Management

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at National Security Technologies

Pros

Benefits (dental, vision, 401K, medical, legal, education expense)

Cons

Company does not allow employees to have any career wroth path. Company is a government contractor. Company has little or no control over the desitions made with their own employees working under management outside the company domain. As a result, company managers cannot protect their own employees from abusive managers.

A great place to work - if you don't plan to advance much past your initial job in the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at National Security Technologies

Pros

While at NSTec, my direct supervisors were always very supportive of my work schedule balanced with my school schedule. They always allowed me to take time off when necessary when it related to school. The environment I worked in was also very relaxed - little if any micromanagement. However, I believe that my coworkers were the best part of working at this company. In general, with few exceptions, most were very knowledgable and did their jobs very well. I learned a lot from my coworkers, and I know this will be valuable at any future job.

Cons

Many of the problems at NSTec do not relate directly to the department I worked in. Most of the roadblocks I experienced while at NSTec related to the Human Resources department. They seemed to create arbitrary regulations simply to justify their own existence within the company. My compensation also seemed to lag behind that of my coworkers. Although I did not have the same degree as my coworkers, my knowledge was on par or superior to theirs. Further, due to the recent pay freeze, there was little incentive to stay with the company. I did not feel that I had much advancement opportunity past my current position. Finally, on a related note, I noticed that employees did not advance within my department. When management positions became available, those that filled the positions were predominately hired from outside of the company. This was very demoralizing for those who were looking to advance their careers.

Advice to Management

If I were to make any recommendation to management, I would suggest that they force the human resources department to allow other departments to make decisions regarding their employees without interference. Human resources should exist simply to maintain employee records and screen incoming company recruits - they should not be able to stop a department from reorganizing their employees as it see fit. Further, senior management should create more incentives to stay with the company. Although the economic times are hard, it is still possible to find another job, and the company may find that they lose valuable talent as a result of their poor incentives.