National Trust for Historic Preservation

www.preservationnation.org

I've worked at the National Trust for 10+ years and think it's a great place to work

Program Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros- Great mission - saving historic places, revitalizing older neighborhoods
- Not just museums or estate properties as some people might assume, but regular places, like Joe Frazier's gym in Philadelphia
 - Lots of dedicated people. I'm not even a preservationist by training, but have stayed so long because it's a very engaging organization and I feel like working here helps make a positive impact on communities.
 - Educational work environment. Regular staff exchanges on preservation or workplace related topics.
- Good location about 6-8 min from Foggy Bottom metro, and nice offices. Still getting settled into our new space at the Watergate complex. I didn't know if I would like the open floor plan, but it's actually turned out to be a nice change - more opportunities to interact casually with co-workers, as well as more spaces to just plop down and brainstorm with someone on a project. Great new break room space we didn't have before (with free coffee and sodas!) and an adjoining casual, common work area.

ConsWe did go through a lot of changes over the past couple years. Like a lot of organizations, some cut backs in response to the down economy, but I think they were necessary and handled thoughtfully. Also, some strategic changes under our new president. But that's also common after having had one CEO for 17+ years. Again, I think they were well thought out and have been positive for the organization - more streamlined, more focused on a smaller number of more high profile projects. While some people didn't like the changes, many are the same people who also complained for years that we were stretched too thin on all the different initiatives that had cropped up over the years without thought to their sustainability. While the staff changes have been hard, I think over all it's a better place to work now.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think our CEO does a good job of informing staff, offering opportunities for input (she's increased the number of All Staff meetings, making them more interesting, engaging and informative, and implemented a new in-house e-newsletter). I've seen more opportunities to express viewpoints and weigh in on topics. Keep moving in that direction, and encourage other levels of management in that practice as well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Depends on your professional goals

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great mission. Decent hours and benefits. Cons: Underemployment. Lack of professional development. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good place to work. Top management tries hard to succeed.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros: Good work environment. Staff is friendly, and for the most part very motivated to succeed. Pay is good for the job, and benefits are… Cons: Regular staff not involved with decisions affecting them from time to time. … Advice to Senior Management: Involve lower level staff as a matter of policy and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Worked for National Trust for Historic Preservation? Contribute to the Community!