Nationwide Credit

www.ncirm.com

There's A Silver Lining In Just About Everything...I Guess

Former Employee - Collector  in  Binghamton, NY
Former Employee - Collector in Binghamton, NY

Pros

If you're an introvert like I was, having to talk to challenging customers on a daily basis about their past-due bills can really force you to grow and develop some great communication skills.

So, I guess the pros can be summed up with: If you enjoy putting yourself in a challenging situation, working for this company will probably be a decent job.

Cons

- Quality assurance criteria was changed constantly. You would learn one way of doing things only to see it continually tweaked. That would be OK if it didn't happen so often. But don't get too comfortable because things will likely change and then you'll be expected to instantly learn everything that they changed.

- I don't believe collections representatives are given all of the information and resources necessary to actually satisfy any problems a customer has. Too often customers would call frustrated because bill information was incorrect, angry that they had no account with the utility company we were representing and they were receiving constant calls from creditors, and so on. All we could do is apologize and take the brunt of the vitriol while those responsible, and supervisors and managers who may have been able to solve these problems wanted us to shoo away or deter as many customers from asking to speak to a supervisor as possible.

- It really did seem like you were getting paid to get yelled at all day. And also to test the limits of your frustration tolerance. And I'm not sure the pay is worth it to go through that if you have a choice to work somewhere else.

- Stop trying to cut costs every chance you get. Treat the employees like employees. I worked with a woman who had a miscarriage in the office. She was docked two unexcused absences for missing work. No lie.

- Giving representatives a time limit for calls and punishing them if they go over the limit and yet not providing them with the resources or authority to truly help any customers tells employees what you care about. Be honest with us and the customers. You don't appreciate their time, and you don't care if they're satisfied. You just want them off the phone.

- Compensate employees appropriately. There were people working there for years who saw a 75 cent raise. That's all. If you truly value your employees and want to stop the high-turnover (which you probably don't) then pay.