Nationwide

Incompetent management

Former Employee - Analyst
Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Nationwide

Pros

Flexible, nice work environment, nice plants.

Cons

Poor upper and middle management, no accountability for management, lack of promotional opportunities, lack of movement within the organization, no incentive (compensation) for exceptional work.

Improve decision making and leadership of upper management. Management showed poor decision making and representation of company outside of traditional work environment.

750 Other Employee Reviews for Nationwide (View Most Recent)

More cons than pros at Nationwide.

Former Employee - NSS Sales Agent. in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - NSS Sales Agent. in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide

Pros

Fair pay and benefits. Mostly nice people that treat each other with respect.

Cons

In Des moines you have to park pretty far from work. Once I got there it took 10 min to get to my desk after parking. Same for smoke breaks, no smoking within 1 block. The Sales Dept motto is 'Selling more products to more people more often!' yet they hold plenty of meetings and waste more time than most could possibly imagine. The technology is a joke. They focus on petty quality check points and an undefined customer experience including tone of voice and making chit chat small talk rather than getting down to the business the customer called about so much that you could loose your job over it. And they make us force customers to get both an auto and home quote even if they don't want it after we offer it so we can show on the stats that 35% of callers got a pack quote so we don't loose our job over that too. They fire people left and right for silly reasons even if their sales are above goal. I wonder if they ever considered easing up on the employees. If employees were not so stressed out over the petty stuff management passes down they might be able to deliver a great customer experience without having to fake it. After all customers can tell if you are being genuine or not. By the way they fired me for not doing something they never trained me how to do....technology related. Oh and when they fire you, unlike most companies they do not pay you for earned unused vacation. I had over 60 hours banked that will not be paid. Since they fire people even if they don't see it comming I would recommend using all your banked time off as you earn it.

In the NSS department you will notice this years engagement survey will look far worse than last year. Yes, it is a direct result of the changes that have been implemented over the past year (just in case you all were wondering).

Female-Unfriendly

Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing and Communications in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide

Pros

They pay a lot better than other large companies in the area. Good location in the Arena District. Great cafeteria. Many amenities onsite - gym, dry cleaning, cafe, pharmacy, etc.

Cons

Prepare to be surrounded by incompetent men. The glass ceiling is alive and well at Nationwide. I knew many female employees who were significantly more qualified than their boob bosses. My boss was a male, my boss' boss was a male, my boss's boss' boss was a male, my boss' boss' boss' boss was a male, and my boss' boss' boss' boss' boss was Jerry Jurgensen - a male. The only females on my team were at the "specialist" level. Men would get together in meetings and discuss marketing cammpaigns targeted at women without a woman in the room - unbelievable!

Offer more developmental opportunities to your staff - courses, conferences, certificates, etc. I've heard development went out the window with the budget cuts. If you can't offer good employees the opportunity to develop, they'll find the opportunity elsewhere. The only people you will have left are the lazies who aren't interest in developing themselves anyways.

There are newer employer reviews for Nationwide