There are newer employer reviews for Nationwide

Great Company, cares about employees

Former Employee - Intern Developer in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Intern Developer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Nationwide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good working company, two thumbs up

Cons

No cons for the company

Good management, nothing to advise

reviews filtered by
  1. Very Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are nice.

Cons

No development work for CS majors, irresponsible upper management, poor compensation package. Development work is sent offshore yet production support remains the responsibility of the 'developers' that did nothing more than go to meetings to delegate the work to contractors. Let them support the apps at 3 in the morning so the 'developers' can rest up for having six hours of meetings the next day.

If you have rcokstar programmers, let them be programmers. How many more are you going to lose because you take away the dev work and give it to contractors and offshore? And not everything needs to be 'agile', most upper management couldn't even explain the concept, but they will try to run all work through a line. If it's all about getting the work done as quickly as possible without regards to a solid design then you can't complain when it goes into production with defects. And when it comes to 'living the values', look around. I have never worked at a company where the value system has been so corrupted by getting results out at any cost.

Beware Female Adjusters

Former Employee - Field Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Field Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nationwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits comparable to other top-tier insurance companies. Company car was provided while I was there.

Cons

I was the only female field claims adjuster at that time. I was promised a new car when I was hired, but was given the oldest car in the fleet, with mechanical problems the manager knew about when he gave it to me. My direct manager, after finding fault with nearly everything I did - even to blaming me for things other adjusters had done - told me while chewing me out that I reminded him of his ex-wife. There was another manager in the room with us and he just looked at me and shrugged. I quit and went to work at Allstate, where all my PEs were meets or exceeds expectations.

I would not encourage any woman to work for Nationwide as a field adjuster.

Be very careful with your treatment of female field adjusters. You may end up with one more litigious than I chose to be.

There are newer employer reviews for Nationwide