Natural Resources Conservation Service
www.nrcs.usda.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Great pay & benefits, but a better career choice for those that are settled down."

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Natural Resources Conservation Service part-time for less than a year

ProsThe NRCS typically offers good pay and nice benefits. Once you're settled in to a position, it's hard to get fired. Employees that have "misbehaved" in some way are sometimes moved to another office, making it an inconvenience for them to go to work.
They are very flexible when it comes to time off, especially for family situations. The NRCS offers a good career for those that are settled down, with kids, because of this. The work is fairly repetitive, with an occasional switch or two in something every year. Offices are usually quite laid back, and they take most assignments without getting stressed. The people I worked with were incredibly nice.

ConsThe work is repetitive, and gets very boring, very quickly. I was glad to be done after 3 months, because I couldn't stand it anymore. The workload was just stagnant. Honestly, a trained monkey could do everything that NRCS employees have to do. It's very easy. Which is what also makes it incredibly boring after a short period of time. For those graduates that want to have a more exciting workload- with duties and situations changing more frequently- don't even consider the NRCS. You'll be doing the same thing you start with until you die. If you see work as just another paycheck, go for it. You can slack off to your heart's content and no one will really care. But eventually you're going to find yourself hating work, simply because it's so monotonous. And it's hard to fire those employees that don't actually do any work, so you just put up with them and take over their workload.
Also, the paper pushing is neverending. You'll sit through lots of meetings. Meetings with the board, meetings with other offices, meetings with farmers (which are the only good ones), "the importance of cultural differences" meetings, "how and why to treat each other equally" meetings, etc. etc. etc... The list is endless. And most of the time the DC just rambles through the letter while everyone pretends to listen while finishing their morning coffee and crossword puzzle.
The only way you'll get through the day is by actually doing your work. Otherwise you'll start to stagnate too.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's government. What more can we say?

It was vere enlightning

I worked at Natural Resources Conservation Service

Pros: the people one works with are awsome. Everyone provides different… Cons: Some of the work was very repetitive, so afeter a while it… Advice to Senior Management: Perhaps it would be nice to provide with more challenging… More

Great Term Position!

I worked at Natural Resources Conservation Service

Pros: Great place to work, good atmosphere, good co-workers Cons: hard to get hired on Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Natural Resources Conservation Service.

Worked for Natural Resources Conservation Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Natural Resources Conservation Service reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Natural Resources Conservation Service employees.