Naval Surface Warfare Center

www.navsea.navy.mil
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Naval Surface Warfare Center

Not a place for career development nor direction from management!

Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD
Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The pay and benefits are OK.
-Long nigths and weekend work was not mandated for support/indirect employees.
-If you can dismiss the busy work you will have free time to do some self-learning.
-General training offered through Defense Acquisition University and opportunities for further academic development (Corporate Development Education Program and certain Masters Degrees)

Cons

-There is very little job specific training to become more proficient in the work you are employed in.
-Co-workers will discredit your work accomplishments or cast doubt on your character to prevent you from receiving praises.
-Management pays most of their attention to trouble-maker employees.
-Technology (computers, information systems, databases) is avoided and not used in a way to facilitate the workforce.
-Management will not give you feedback as to how you can improve in your current assignment.
-Management is content with employees doing what they did last year; very little progress and communication on what needs to be done to be better for the future.
-The work load is decreasing and is sporadic.
-The work and office facilities are so dilapidated they communicate in a non-verbal way that employees and the work they do is only worthy of an unsightly building.

Advice to Management

Management needs to realize that the work environment at NSWC Indian Head is stifling the existing, potential and new talent. Employees from multiple levels of experience and demographic backgrounds are frustrated which leads to two things; resignation or complacency.

The chain-of-command is so focused on getting work done (sometimes busy work) that development and utilization of employees is overlooked, opportunities for improvement are dismissed, and a sub-culture now exists where employees create empires to raise themselves by casting doubt on another employee.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Beware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Inefficient HR, rampant nepotism, promotions are based on getting chummy with the right people, not merit

Advice to Management

Poor management is what's wrong with this command and I highly doubt any of them will be leaving or bettering themselves for the benefit of the command.

Internship opened eyes to level of project management vs research.

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center

Pros

Flex time is available.
    Travel opportunities.
    Campus is really rather nice with cafeteria.
    Usual government benefits.
    Diversity of age of employees.

Cons

My eyes were opened during my time here to high level of project management in government positions. I was hired to help solve challenging new problems but most of the people I worked with just managed contractors.