Naval Surface Warfare Center
www.navsea.com 1000 to 5000 Employees

Decent for starting a career but doesn't offer much afterwards

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Norco, CA

ProsThis place has very good benefits. You have lots of vacation and sick leave available. Also you do get a pension which is becoming a lot less common in industry. Lots of good experience and projects that are available to work on. Job is highly stable and secure. Salary starting to mid-level is pretty decent. Environment tends to be fairly relaxed. Benefit of training under many experience senior engineers. Moving up at this organization is a really good deal if you have the opportunity.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level it is very difficult to get promoted into higher level jobs. Most of the time promotions are based on how chummy you are with management and acceleration often has little to do with performance. Even then acceleration is still fairly slow. It is expected that young employees with drive and skill will work here a few years and then look somewhere else. Here there are a higher percentage of people who take advantage of the system and get away with things they are not supposed to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress all items mentioned in the cons. They bring the organization down. Reward employees more for performance by offering more acceleration. Take better care of your employees because we work hard for you.

Not a place for career development nor direction from management!

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Indian Head, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: -The pay and benefits are OK. -Long nigths and weekend work was not mandated for support/indirect employees. -If you can dismiss the busy work you will have… Cons: -There is very little job specific training to become more proficient in the work you are employed in. -Co-workers will discredit your work accomplishments or cast… Advice to Senior Management: Management needs to realize that the work environment at NSWC Indian Head is stifling the existing, potential and new talent. Employees from multiple levels of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros: People were very smart in the group I intern with. Everyone knew a lot about naval ships. A… Cons: Computers and software were really old. Doesn't have the latest… Advice to Senior Management: Less politics Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Naval Surface Warfare Center.

Worked for Naval Surface Warfare Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Naval Surface Warfare Center reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Naval Surface Warfare Center employees.