Naval Surface Warfare Center

A roller coaster ride

Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD
Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, flex schedule were OK

Cons

Professional Development:
This is the wrong place to start if you're a young aspiring engineer looking to pursue a technical path. This place is behind in terms of skills and facilities and you will find it difficult to move forward in your career or find a job elsewhere. There is a big hype for "professional development" but that really means program management, sales training and "how to talk to people". There's no balance between technical and management skills. This place might just end up a base with all managers, all selling empty cans to ONR.

Work Environment, Culture and Values:
Competition for research funding is rough everywhere but there's a good way and a bad way to compete. I've only seen the bad side here...

Most proposals for the programs I've worked on had been written by "technical" leads without consideration for the time, training, and resources available to the poor souls tasked to implement them. Instead, proposals were written with the promise of delivering faster than the competition. Moreover, review panels on existing programs were not all from independent parties. Some programs were so desperate that they even tried to exploit my friendships and professional network.

There was also this overwhelming and distressing culture of helping and intervention. If you're dissatisfied with your work one day, all of a sudden everybody will be all over your entire life, not just your work life. There was no respect for personal space. There was this big brotherish sense of "helping". My career is forever marred by the people who "spoke (and still do) on my behalf." I have tried to start over but it seems like any place I go I will always have to deal with an awkward work environment.

and to senior engineers-

You won't boost morale, build good rapport, or gain any respect by just calculating what to say to people based on their interactions with their friends, what hobbies they like, and other nonsense. You can try the power of suggestion and your business psychology tactics all you want, but getting people to listen or follow your lead is as simple as showing that you are working hard and doing your own job with integrity.

41 Other Employee Reviews for Naval Surface Warfare Center (View Most Recent)

Electronics Engineer

Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Norco, CA
    Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Norco, CA

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Job stability. Pay & Compensation. Supportive of continuous learning to obtain industry standard certifications.

Cons

It's easy for employees to become complacent and it appears that little is/can be done. Policies are not fairly applied throughout the Command.

Provide effective supervisor training.

I learned what technicians do to help electrical engineers hands on!

Former Employee - Electrical Technician in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Electrical Technician in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex time, relaxed environment sometimes, and nice coworkers

Cons

Expected to work alone most of the time, on projects you may not have experience in.

Train employees more.