Naval Surface Warfare Center

There are newer employer reviews for Naval Surface Warfare Center

A Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dahlgren, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dahlgren, VA

I have been working at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Used to be a center of innovation
Good vacation benefits
Flexible work schedules
Job security
Health insurance

Cons

Innovation is being stifled
Too many hurtles created against doing real technical work
"We want to do that, but there isn't a process for it."
Technical innovation takes a far back seat to electron pushing
Bureaucracy has become horrific, especially over the last 5 years
Local management is impotent
Corporate management completely detached from needs of workers
Technical people aren't considered as important as programmatic types
No real technical career ladder
Research has been almost been eliminated - farmed out to universities and contractors
Horrible IT policies and capabilities - practically impossible to install newer software or develop it

Corporate: let local managers manage. Give them authority and let them be responsible.
Drop all the processes and focus on good people - they will create the necessary processes if needed
Remind yourself every day that the mission is about the sailors and the marines and giving them superior technology to prevail in their mission - not about having a process and boxes checked in a spread sheet or on a web site

40 Other Employee Reviews for Naval Surface Warfare Center (View Most Recent)

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  West Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in West Bethesda, MD

Pros

Interesting work, strong values, good benefits, stable work

Cons

This is a federal government organization

A roller coaster ride

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Indian Head, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Indian Head, MD

I worked at Naval Surface Warfare Center full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, flex schedule were OK

Cons

Professional Development:
    This is the wrong place to start if you're a young aspiring engineer looking to pursue a technical path. This place is behind in terms of skills and facilities and you will find it difficult to move forward in your career or find a job elsewhere. There is a big hype for "professional development" but that really means program management, sales training and "how to talk to people". There's no balance between technical and management skills. This place might just end up a base with all managers, all selling empty cans to ONR.

Work Environment, Culture and Values:
    Competition for research funding is rough everywhere but there's a good way and a bad way to compete. I've only seen the bad side here...

Most proposals for the programs I've worked on had been written by "technical" leads without consideration for the time, training, and resources available to the poor souls tasked to implement them. Instead, proposals were written with the promise of delivering faster than the competition. Moreover, review panels on existing programs were not all from independent parties. Some programs were so desperate that they even tried to exploit my friendships and professional network.

There was also this overwhelming and distressing culture of helping and intervention. If you're dissatisfied with your work one day, all of a sudden everybody will be all over your entire life, not just your work life. There was no respect for personal space. There was this big brotherish sense of "helping". My career is forever marred by the people who "spoke (and still do) on my behalf." I have tried to start over but it seems like any place I go I will always have to deal with an awkward work environment.

and to senior engineers-

You won't boost morale, build good rapport, or gain any respect by just calculating what to say to people based on their interactions with their friends, what hobbies they like, and other nonsense. You can try the power of suggestion and your business psychology tactics all you want, but getting people to listen or follow your lead is as simple as showing that you are working hard and doing your own job with integrity.

There are newer employer reviews for Naval Surface Warfare Center

Worked for Naval Surface Warfare Center? Contribute to the Community!