There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting

Good place to stand out, but terrible corporate structure.

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Internal mobility.
Direct opportunities to interact with upper management.
Opportunities to learn transferable skills sets.
Amount of vacation time (4 weeks).
Caliber of people who you get to work with.

Cons

Some people work 100 hours a week, others work 40, there is little to differentiate between those who work 100 and those who work 40.
Some management doesn't understand how to explain big picture behind project.
Different practices fast track the promotion cycle, even though there may be others more qualified for promotions.
A lot of internal politics.
Lack of transparency from corporate execs to corporate citizens.

Send a unified message.
Compensate your hardest working and most talented people the best.
Strive for transparency at all times.
Take time to solicit feedback from employees at the most junior level.

reviews filtered by

Navigant is only good in a few select areas of Health Care, Energy, and D&I. Otherwise, avoid it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Work-life balance. Ability to actually use your vacation time, which is difficult at other consulting firms. Decent pay relative to the amount you work. If you are in one the groups listed in my headline, the work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

Training for recent grads and new hires is weak and insufficient - this is really a firm for experienced hires. Most Managing Directors can't sell well, so you end up with more bench time than you'd like or boring projects that only serve to keep you billable. It has an "every man for himself" culture. Even my manager had that attitude with his employees. I always had to network and find my own way onto projects, which can be difficult when you're new. There is very insufficient feedback and communications from your managers. Top management seems confused and unfocused. I'm not sure what the strategy is there and they can't seem to sustain growth. Also, for a small company, it feels huge and cold. They grow through acquisitions, which creates further cultural and bureaucratic divisions within the company.

Focus on your core businesses and cut the dead weight practices and groups. Create a more dynamic, interactive, and cohesive culture within the firm. Mr. Goodyear, the company is small - you should visit each office at least once a year so it feels that way. You should also create a more comprehensive training program for new hires - at least college hires - and hire MDs with a track record of sales and delivery, not just delivery. Navigant has a lot of potential that will never be realized on this current path, whatever that is.

poor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

lots of former Big 5 folks there w/good credentials

Cons

no corporate identity - just a bunch of acquired firms smashed together; only career mobility is offered in Chicago HQ

There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting