Navigant Consulting

www.navigant.com
  www.navigant.com
There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting

Navigant Consulting provides career growth and experience in all areas of consulting.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Associate Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Navigant Consulting provides a vast amount of opportunities that stretch across muliple disciplines providing employees with great growth potential.

Cons

Like all consulting firms, the working environment is rather volatile in terms of stability - so if you don't want last minute assignments or 50 hours of work at least, this is not the place for you.

Do a better job at communicating across all levels and practice areas on a regular basis. Be consistent across all practice areas.

255 Other Employee Reviews for Navigant Consulting (View Most Recent)

Navigant Consulting is a good place to work, and a good place to start a career, but it's not best-in-class.

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

The best reason to work for Navigant Consulting is to get a feel for the consulting world. For people starting a career, it's a great place to get a foot in the door. You'll learn about your industry and work with good people. This isn't like one of the Big 4 firms where everyone working here was a top student in college and lacking in social skills. We hire lots of young professionals who are not too aggressive. You won't find many Type A personalities here. Compensation is reasonable, and even college hires start off with plenty of vacation time.

Cons

It can be difficult to get ahead depending on your individual situation. Promotions and compensation are definitely metric-based... so if you aren't as busy as the guy sitting next to you -- which, if you are not a manager, is likely totally out of your control -- then you won't have as much of an opportunity to advance within the company. It can also be difficult to learn your industry if your managers are busy making sales pitches to potential clients or spending their time managing jobs and personal commitments. The culture at each office is quite different and some offices are closely knit, while some of the larger offices have very little culture at all. It seems at times like each group at my office is very "cliquey".

For whatever reason, even though this company is filled with youth and great ideas, I constantly feel like we're an old company. We are just finally switching in 2009 to using Microsoft Outlook instead of Lotus Notes... why is this? It's a small issue but this is representative of an overall feeling of being left behind some of our competitors.

A great place to work for a few years out of college, but not the job you want for the rest of your life.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

The people. My office was filled with smart, hard-working individuals who were willing to put in long hours when necessary but also recognized the importance of life outside of work. I started with NCI straight out of college, and the DC office at the time was filled with a lot of young folks (22-27), so there was also a great sense of camaraderie inside and outside the office.

Cons

While the path upward was fairly straightforward (at least for me), I found much of the work in my practice to not be very stimulating or challenging. While I admired and respected my boss, I did not want to follow in his footsteps, and felt that I would be unhappy if I didn't make a change. Another downside is that NCI has problems retaining people below the director level, which makes it tough on those who stay.

As much as possible, rotate younger folks between practices and projects. Invest in a tuition reimbursement program to allow people to get an MBA or Ph.D and come back for a few years. Focus on recruiting smart people who work hard regardless of their undergraduate curriculum. Listen to your key MDs and don't just let them leave.

There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting