There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting

Inconsistent management and narrowly defined verticals

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've stayed at Navigant much longer than I should have because I love my coworkers. Hands down, they are the best. Smart, highly qualified, and passionate about the work (we're in the energy practice.)

Cons

However, it doesn't matter that I have wonderful, smart, coworkers. The majority of the work is large government contracts, which is repetitive and mind numbing on a good day. There are some offices that have a better mix of contracts (not all government work) but that is the minority in Navigant Energy. How quickly you move up also depends on who you work for. I've seen people in other parts of the practice get promoted year after year, while other managing directors seem to believe in a tenure track system wherein they will not consider promoting their staff until 3-4 years have passed at one level.

Advice to Management

Reward your staff for being the overachieving ambitious workers that they are, and be consistent about it across the company. I know you're talking about consistency, but we have yet to see it filter down to the bottom of the totem pole. Get out there and get us more work to do than these giant 3-5 year government contracts of rote work. You hire the best, from top institutions, why give us such unimaginative assignments?

Other Employee Reviews for Navigant Consulting

It was great in the beginning, and I don't necessary want to leave.

Current Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, smart talented people. I am proud to call many of them my colleagues and friends. I learned quite a bit from them

Cons

Eventually, what start off as a very flat organization structure, where a single voice had some weight, turned into a complex hierarchy as the project grew bigger and bigger. Office politics started to play a greater role.

Advice to Management

-Issue every employee the best and lastest laptops. You want them to be as productive as possible? Give them the tools that work all the time, not 7 hours out of 12. -Revise the performance review process, so that each employee is not evaluated by just one supervisor, especially if they don't have just one supervisor.

Great Management

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Navigant Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management are very accessible Collaborative work environment Good pay

Cons

projects can end abruptly no job stability