Navigant Consulting

Great colleagues

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Navigant does a great job hiring people who are knowledgeable but also fun and easy to work with. The people are its greatest strength. It also works in a number of different industries, geographies, and functional areas, so there's availability to pursue varied interests.

Cons

The tasks assigned to lower level consultants and new hires in the D&I practice can be really boring and mundane considering you just finished a rigorous undergraduate degree. However, the work can get more interesting once you get more responsibility and placed on different project types.

Navigant should offer some clearer pathways to transfer to other parts of the organization, even as part of a rotational program. This sort of initiative would have to be organized by upper management, since many of the individual offices and Managing Directors run their operations as a stand alone business.

255 Other Employee Reviews for Navigant Consulting (View Most Recent)

Navigant is only good in a few select areas of Health Care, Energy, and D&I. Otherwise, avoid it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Navigant Consulting

Pros

Work-life balance. Ability to actually use your vacation time, which is difficult at other consulting firms. Decent pay relative to the amount you work. If you are in one the groups listed in my headline, the work is interesting and challenging.

Cons

Training for recent grads and new hires is weak and insufficient - this is really a firm for experienced hires. Most Managing Directors can't sell well, so you end up with more bench time than you'd like or boring projects that only serve to keep you billable. It has an "every man for himself" culture. Even my manager had that attitude with his employees. I always had to network and find my own way onto projects, which can be difficult when you're new. There is very insufficient feedback and communications from your managers. Top management seems confused and unfocused. I'm not sure what the strategy is there and they can't seem to sustain growth. Also, for a small company, it feels huge and cold. They grow through acquisitions, which creates further cultural and bureaucratic divisions within the company.

Focus on your core businesses and cut the dead weight practices and groups. Create a more dynamic, interactive, and cohesive culture within the firm. Mr. Goodyear, the company is small - you should visit each office at least once a year so it feels that way. You should also create a more comprehensive training program for new hires - at least college hires - and hire MDs with a track record of sales and delivery, not just delivery. Navigant has a lot of potential that will never be realized on this current path, whatever that is.

poor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navigant Consulting

Pros

lots of former Big 5 folks there w/good credentials

Cons

no corporate identity - just a bunch of acquired firms smashed together; only career mobility is offered in Chicago HQ

There are newer employer reviews for Navigant Consulting