Navistar
www.navistar.com Lisle, IL 5000+ Employees

Lack of strategic direction. Stubborn management. Old school mentality. New location does not make a company modern.

Supply Manager (Current Employee)
Lisle, IL

ProsGenerally stable work environment. Coming from a Schaumburg based technology company (Mot), this company is a polar opposite. People are best assets is truly seen.

ConsNeed to get in 2012 in technology and systems and desperately needs a house cleanup. 20-30 years with a company is good if you are still productive. There are many middle to older age individuals with over 10-30 years of experience that can be done by a high school graduate (some are high school grads without college degrees). These individuals make upto 6 figures and add little to no value to the company.
Capitalist structure - Raises are a hit or miss (mostly misses) but bonus is almost guaranteed even when the reports are less than desirable or flat out negative. I understand the upper management and "C" suite personnel like their bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline training for L7 and above so the management style is not a night and day from one group to the other.
Global expansion is great but keeping a close eye at home (market share/gain) is a must.
REVENUE is important if PROFIT MARGINS make sense. Revenue without margins is what non-profit organizations do.

Technical Honesty Is Wanting

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The company has a very talented set of engineers and designers. It's engineering… Cons: Technical Leadership at the highest level has been wanting. Example: The 6.0 liter engine was known to be very problematic and required further development, but… Advice to Senior Management: Replace the current VP of Government Relations (EPA Debacle) and also the VP of Engineering responsible for the 6.0 liter. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Poor communication

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than a year

Pros: Plenty of smart people and hard workers Cons: Horrific communication from leadership to the rest of the company. The company is clearly… Advice to Senior Management: I understand you can't divulge a great deal of information, for a variety of reasons, but the pep talks aren't working… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Navistar.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navistar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navistar CEO Troy Clarke. All reviews posted anonymously by Navistar employees.