Great work experience

Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant  in  Lisle, IL
Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very driven culture, great office, on sight gym and cafeteria.

Cons

I can't really say there are any cons.

Other Reviews for Navistar

Technical Honesty Is Wanting

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has a very talented set of engineers and designers. It's engineering processes are sound and well developed. Several designers have proven to be extremely gifted.

Cons

Technical Leadership at the highest level has been wanting. Example: The 6.0 liter engine was known to be very problematic and required further development, but was pushed into production prematurely. The most senior technical leaders (VPs) lack sound engineering knowledge and experience. Most are political appointees. While having had a great technical history, things went down hill dramatically since the release of the 6.0 liter diesel. Those responsible for this and subsequent technical failures have moved on in the company, to other positions of authority, rather than having been dismissed. Politics overshadows sound judgment.

Replace the current VP of Government Relations (EPA Debacle) and also the VP of Engineering responsible for the 6.0 liter. Demand honesty at all levels of the company, especially from those in top level management. The stock holders deserve far better.

Good Company That Went Through Some Bad Changes

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Navistar as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The company does some good engineering work. They had a good bunch of people both directs and contractors before the move. Too bad they lost a lot of the good people due to the move. I would hope things have improved since they moved over to Lisle and maybe the turn over has slowed down. The company could be a great place to work for again but I can't tell you since I have not worked in Lisle. I liked the team work we had at work. I did have a great manager that helped train me and it was very helpful. But he left the company.

Cons

Upper management decided to move the engineering from Fort Wayne IN to Lisle IL . Good people worked there but many left due to the company moving the engineer facility from Fort Wayne to Lisle. I had a good manager but he left the company due to the move. I did not like my new manager as much because he tried to change the way we did things. I had four mangers in seven months. Before the new manager we could decide our own work and work as a team better. They laid off 200 people consisting of most their contractors in July 2011. They went desk to desk telling people would you come talk to me. Then laying them off. They like to say contract work will last 2 years but most of the time lay people off after six months. The layoff probably was due to the move but they said due to budget and not selling enough trucks.

Treat your employees and contractors better. Don't layoff your contractors every six months or nine months just to keep them from getting a year in. Try to keep them for 2 years if you tell them it may last that long for the contract. Pay people a reasonable wage for their career. You need to compete with companies that offer good wages in places like Detroit or Chicago. They need to pay a fair wage for the location and type of work. They need to treat their people better by giving them more job security. Otherwise you may have troubles retaining people. Hire managers that have done the work they are managing. Or train them in the areas they are managing that way they can appreciate the workers that they manage. Moving from Fort Wayne to Lisle was a big mistake that the company should learn from.

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!