Navistar

www.navistar.com

Good Company That Went Through Some Bad Changes

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsThe company does some good engineering work. They had a good bunch of people both directs and contractors before the move. Too bad they lost a lot of the good people due to the move. I would hope things have improved since they moved over to Lisle and maybe the turn over has slowed down. The company could be a great place to work for again but I can't tell you since I have not worked in Lisle. I liked the team work we had at work. I did have a great manager that helped train me and it was very helpful. But he left the company.

ConsUpper management decided to move the engineering from Fort Wayne IN to Lisle IL . Good people worked there but many left due to the company moving the engineer facility from Fort Wayne to Lisle. I had a good manager but he left the company due to the move. I did not like my new manager as much because he tried to change the way we did things. I had four mangers in seven months. Before the new manager we could decide our own work and work as a team better. They laid off 200 people consisting of most their contractors in July 2011. They went desk to desk telling people would you come talk to me. Then laying them off. They like to say contract work will last 2 years but most of the time lay people off after six months. The layoff probably was due to the move but they said due to budget and not selling enough trucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees and contractors better. Don't layoff your contractors every six months or nine months just to keep them from getting a year in. Try to keep them for 2 years if you tell them it may last that long for the contract. Pay people a reasonable wage for their career. You need to compete with companies that offer good wages in places like Detroit or Chicago. They need to pay a fair wage for the location and type of work. They need to treat their people better by giving them more job security. Otherwise you may have troubles retaining people. Hire managers that have done the work they are managing. Or train them in the areas they are managing that way they can appreciate the workers that they manage. Moving from Fort Wayne to Lisle was a big mistake that the company should learn from.

Good

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for less than a year

Pros: Good benefits, new HQ, gym facilities is great, cafeteria is… Cons: More male pre-dominant given the nature of the company. Culture… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Tremendous ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time

Pros: Great facility, the training programs, especially in finance, are excellent,the fitness center is… Cons: Financially, the company just isn't doing well in 2012, and that impacts the morale. the work environment, and eventually will impact the staffing levels. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Navistar.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!