Navistar

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

Good Company That Went Through Some Bad Changes

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Navistar as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company does some good engineering work. They had a good bunch of people both directs and contractors before the move. Too bad they lost a lot of the good people due to the move. I would hope things have improved since they moved over to Lisle and maybe the turn over has slowed down. The company could be a great place to work for again but I can't tell you since I have not worked in Lisle. I liked the team work we had at work. I did have a great manager that helped train me and it was very helpful. But he left the company.

Cons

Upper management decided to move the engineering from Fort Wayne IN to Lisle IL . Good people worked there but many left due to the company moving the engineer facility from Fort Wayne to Lisle. I had a good manager but he left the company due to the move. I did not like my new manager as much because he tried to change the way we did things. I had four mangers in seven months. Before the new manager we could decide our own work and work as a team better. They laid off 200 people consisting of most their contractors in July 2011. They went desk to desk telling people would you come talk to me. Then laying them off. They like to say contract work will last 2 years but most of the time lay people off after six months. The layoff probably was due to the move but they said due to budget and not selling enough trucks.

Treat your employees and contractors better. Don't layoff your contractors every six months or nine months just to keep them from getting a year in. Try to keep them for 2 years if you tell them it may last that long for the contract. Pay people a reasonable wage for their career. You need to compete with companies that offer good wages in places like Detroit or Chicago. They need to pay a fair wage for the location and type of work. They need to treat their people better by giving them more job security. Otherwise you may have troubles retaining people. Hire managers that have done the work they are managing. Or train them in the areas they are managing that way they can appreciate the workers that they manage. Moving from Fort Wayne to Lisle was a big mistake that the company should learn from.

380 Other Employee Reviews for Navistar (View Most Recent)

Poor communication

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of smart people and hard workers

Cons

Horrific communication from leadership to the rest of the company. The company is clearly having issues, and morale is very low, but leadership keeps preaching "we are moving boldly forward"

I understand you can't divulge a great deal of information, for a variety of reasons, but the pep talks aren't working considering what we are facing. Please speak to us like the adults we all are and indicate what is really happening.

Lack of strategic direction. Stubborn management. Old school mentality. New location does not make a company modern.

Current Employee - Supply Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Supply Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally stable work environment. Coming from a Schaumburg based technology company (Mot), this company is a polar opposite. People are best assets is truly seen.

Cons

Need to get in 2012 in technology and systems and desperately needs a house cleanup. 20-30 years with a company is good if you are still productive. There are many middle to older age individuals with over 10-30 years of experience that can be done by a high school graduate (some are high school grads without college degrees). These individuals make upto 6 figures and add little to no value to the company.
    Capitalist structure - Raises are a hit or miss (mostly misses) but bonus is almost guaranteed even when the reports are less than desirable or flat out negative. I understand the upper management and "C" suite personnel like their bonuses.

Streamline training for L7 and above so the management style is not a night and day from one group to the other.
    Global expansion is great but keeping a close eye at home (market share/gain) is a must.
    REVENUE is important if PROFIT MARGINS make sense. Revenue without margins is what non-profit organizations do.

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar