Navistar
www.navistar.com Lisle, IL 5000+ Employees

Technical Honesty Is Wanting

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Melrose Park, IL

ProsThe company has a very talented set of engineers and designers. It's engineering processes are sound and well developed. Several designers have proven to be extremely gifted.

ConsTechnical Leadership at the highest level has been wanting. Example: The 6.0 liter engine was known to be very problematic and required further development, but was pushed into production prematurely. The most senior technical leaders (VPs) lack sound engineering knowledge and experience. Most are political appointees. While having had a great technical history, things went down hill dramatically since the release of the 6.0 liter diesel. Those responsible for this and subsequent technical failures have moved on in the company, to other positions of authority, rather than having been dismissed. Politics overshadows sound judgment.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the current VP of Government Relations (EPA Debacle) and also the VP of Engineering responsible for the 6.0 liter. Demand honesty at all levels of the company, especially from those in top level management. The stock holders deserve far better.

Poor communication

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than a year

Pros: Plenty of smart people and hard workers Cons: Horrific communication from leadership to the rest of the company. The company is clearly… Advice to Senior Management: I understand you can't divulge a great deal of information, for a variety of reasons, but the pep talks aren't working… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good company, lots of change, direction not always clear

Corporate (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: People are very nice and believe in doing the right thing.… Cons: Executive efforts are not always coordinated resulting in missed opportunities… Advice to Senior Management: Lack of coordination at the executive level is amplified throughout the organization; a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Navistar.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Navistar reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Navistar CEO Troy Clarke. All reviews posted anonymously by Navistar employees.