There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

Technical Honesty Is Wanting

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Melrose Park, IL
Current Employee - Design Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has a very talented set of engineers and designers. It's engineering processes are sound and well developed. Several designers have proven to be extremely gifted.

Cons

Technical Leadership at the highest level has been wanting. Example: The 6.0 liter engine was known to be very problematic and required further development, but was pushed into production prematurely. The most senior technical leaders (VPs) lack sound engineering knowledge and experience. Most are political appointees. While having had a great technical history, things went down hill dramatically since the release of the 6.0 liter diesel. Those responsible for this and subsequent technical failures have moved on in the company, to other positions of authority, rather than having been dismissed. Politics overshadows sound judgment.

Replace the current VP of Government Relations (EPA Debacle) and also the VP of Engineering responsible for the 6.0 liter. Demand honesty at all levels of the company, especially from those in top level management. The stock holders deserve far better.

359 Other Employee Reviews for Navistar (View Most Recent)

Poor communication

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of smart people and hard workers

Cons

Horrific communication from leadership to the rest of the company. The company is clearly having issues, and morale is very low, but leadership keeps preaching "we are moving boldly forward"

I understand you can't divulge a great deal of information, for a variety of reasons, but the pep talks aren't working considering what we are facing. Please speak to us like the adults we all are and indicate what is really happening.

Lack of strategic direction. Stubborn management. Old school mentality. New location does not make a company modern.

Current Employee - Supply Manager  in  Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Supply Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally stable work environment. Coming from a Schaumburg based technology company (Mot), this company is a polar opposite. People are best assets is truly seen.

Cons

Need to get in 2012 in technology and systems and desperately needs a house cleanup. 20-30 years with a company is good if you are still productive. There are many middle to older age individuals with over 10-30 years of experience that can be done by a high school graduate (some are high school grads without college degrees). These individuals make upto 6 figures and add little to no value to the company.
    Capitalist structure - Raises are a hit or miss (mostly misses) but bonus is almost guaranteed even when the reports are less than desirable or flat out negative. I understand the upper management and "C" suite personnel like their bonuses.

Streamline training for L7 and above so the management style is not a night and day from one group to the other.
    Global expansion is great but keeping a close eye at home (market share/gain) is a must.
    REVENUE is important if PROFIT MARGINS make sense. Revenue without margins is what non-profit organizations do.

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!