There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

Troubling times, but a good plan

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lisle, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Upper management understands the issues we face and they've developed a good plan to move forward. There is a focus on retaining good people.

Cons

Just finished a significant reduction in force. May take a few years to get back on it's feet.

Keep communicating, the honesty is appreciated.

355 Other Employee Reviews for Navistar (View Most Recent)

A good company to work for but management need to change

Current Employee - Enterprise Applications Database Administrator Lead  in  Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Applications Database Administrator Lead in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. World class office campus
    2. Reasonable pay and benefit
    3. Flexible work/life balance

Cons

1. Missing link between management and staff worker
    2. Uncertainty of company's future

Internal View of Navistar Product Development

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Navistar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working at Navistar Product Development in the year 2012 is an incredible wealth of experience. You can learn something from anyone, whether for good or bad. I find it hard to believe that a person could witness poor management on a grander scale, or as rapidly, as we can at Navistar today. There are so many ways to fail, demotivate people, and concentrate on short term internal victories rather than any kind of long term strategy. This can be an excellent learning experience, which can only lead to success in future roles at other companies.

Cons

Working at Navistar Product Development in the year 2012 is not something most of us are doing as part of a long term career anymore. There are so many stories of various diferent leaders who see their employees as nothing more than a number on a paper. They predicted in 2009 that they'd have 20% retention when they moved PD to Lisle, IL from Fort Wayne, IN. In reality it isn't anywhere near 20%. Navistar went out and hired some talented and completely inexperienced people and replaced their truck PD workforce almost wholesale.

They did not, of course, acknowledge this in the Plan. As such they planned to continue full-speed ahead on numerous projects, most of which hit the wall this past summer due to lack of trained staff and lack of functional validation facilities. However the culture does not permit acknowledging issues or mistakes, so we continue on, and we blame those below us for these failures.

See also Navistar's emissions strategy, any Google search should help make the issue clear here.

If they pull through this enormous challenge they're in the middle of, they may again become great. They are not great now and won't be anytime soon.

Clean house. You have changed the CEO and Truck Group President. You need to change a lot more people from VP level down, recognize the mess you are in, and call some of your rank and file back that you've let go. When you call you need to be VERY persuasive. You have knocked most of the experience and ability right out of your organization willfully Your choice is to eat some crow and call people back in, IMMEDIATELY; or to spend the next 8 years rebuilding your abilities.

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!