Navistar

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Lisle, IL
Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work for Navistar are some of the best and brightest that I've ever met

Cons

The company as a whole doesn't always make the best decisions and communication is not as transparent as it needs to be.

379 Other Employee Reviews for Navistar (View Most Recent)

If this is the only place you can work join us

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck. Stepping stone work place. If you work in finance or accounting for some reason those people are happy here. Not sure why. Then again if you looked at the 10k's and 10Q's you would also be laughing all day.

Cons

Basically when people say that happens everywhere in the workplace. I have worked other places and this place is the extreme for everything toxic. Everyone in engineering is pretty much miserable and hates this place. Management thinks we are slaves and should abandon our friends and families. Pretty much non-existant leadership. They primarily come around say somethings have people fake clap, pat themselves on the back, and are never seen or heard from again. The quality is garbage and processes run in circles literally. IT is revamping the systems for sale, finance, and accounting which is probably why they are happy there. Where as in engineering the good old boys are protecting their broken creation. No one can find anything as servers are fragmented with in themselves. The deeper you go in the server looking for things the bigger the mess is to the point where engineering is more a guessing what part to use rather than knowing. Prints lack info, not even god himself can find a basic part. HR is quite confused between what is a technical expert and what is a manager. Don't bother trying to get support from your management. All you are is a headcount number of people below them of their empire. You are just dirt to anyone above you. If you come to work here only go to finance, sales, and accounting. Stay away from any form of engineering. Otherwise you will be like other engineers who come here and say I have never seen a place so screwed up, then they leave in 3 weeks. The company has a lot of people who have only worked here their whole life. They want things to be good possibly, but just don't know how things can be better because they have never experienced another work place. If you interview for an any engineering position be sure to try and challenge the manager in the interview. Tell him he is wrong about something. You will see him get in your face and show his true colors. Rather than handling things professionally. Wish I did that before getting duped into leaving my old job to work here.

Time to stick close as possible with your good old boys. If the new CEO and COO actually care, you will need every bandwagon technique to survive. Essentially change or step aside and let HR hire new external people with the correct experience to fix things.

engineer

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer

I have been working at Navistar full-time

Pros

easy to get in .
    good work life balance

Cons

mediocre work environement
    not innovative
    lots of paper pushing
    currently firing employees
    they do not do any engineering , truck industry is several years behind automotive and is very unexciting .If you wish to get a mediocre job and settle down this would be an ideal destination

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar