There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

Easy Internship

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL
Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice headquarters campus, generous salary and housing stipend given to interns. A lot of interesting, younger engineers work there due to Navistar's move to Lisle, IL a few years ago when a lot of older people decided not to move with.

Cons

Many of the interns either had very little to do or they had very involved projects. I first project was super easy excel drudgery but my boss treated it as if it were much more difficult for me and we had many unnecessary meetings -- I read the 4 hour work week at my desk in the time I had finished all of my work and was waiting on him. I should note that my second half of the internship was more involved and interesting. Oh, and they cut their intern program entirely in 2014

When I was there it seemed like every one was focused on putting out fires much more than innovating. I noticed a few distinct types of people -- generic business types who were excited to be part of a company turn around, interesting young people who had been with the company a few years but were not in leadership roles, and old timers who seemed to do most of the work and were stressed out as a result. The company needs a vision to work towards that can excite the younger employees into doing something more than a typical project engineer.

reviews filtered by

working environment sucks!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive salary, great learning opportunity for new employee especially fresh out of college kids

Cons

layoffs and restructuring occurs every couple of months

promote people based on accomplishment not just on connection.

Mostly good people with good intentions, but weighed down by bureacracy

I worked at Navistar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits were not bad. Most of the people were friendly. There was a lot of effort at organizational level to support people.

Cons

The management structure and processes were not very efficient. As a result, many simple "no-brainer" decisions take much to long to happen. There was a switch to using external consulting companies to provide fundamental services. Management did not appear to listen to valid concerns from people about the challenges in making this switch - the resulting rollout was not very well executed.

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar