Easy Internship

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Lisle, IL
Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very nice headquarters campus, generous salary and housing stipend given to interns. A lot of interesting, younger engineers work there due to Navistar's move to Lisle, IL a few years ago when a lot of older people decided not to move with.

Cons

Many of the interns either had very little to do or they had very involved projects. I first project was super easy excel drudgery but my boss treated it as if it were much more difficult for me and we had many unnecessary meetings -- I read the 4 hour work week at my desk in the time I had finished all of my work and was waiting on him. I should note that my second half of the internship was more involved and interesting. Oh, and they cut their intern program entirely in 2014

When I was there it seemed like every one was focused on putting out fires much more than innovating. I noticed a few distinct types of people -- generic business types who were excited to be part of a company turn around, interesting young people who had been with the company a few years but were not in leadership roles, and old timers who seemed to do most of the work and were stressed out as a result. The company needs a vision to work towards that can excite the younger employees into doing something more than a typical project engineer.

Other Reviews for Navistar

Chaotic environment

I have been working at Navistar

Pros

Nice amenities, New programs to work on, Fair compensation package

Cons

Projects are often cancelled half-way through, Poor training, Behind in terms of technology

Great people, great environment, but a struggling company

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned there in the summer of 2013 for the it department. The atmosphere was very welcoming and training was a breeze. For the first few weeks after training i didn't have anything to do, due to my lack of knowledge in .net. Though i was able to find projects for my manager to complete. Navistar is really a great company, but there was so many changes going on in management that there was no really clear path of where the company is heading

Cons

They should find ways to clear state the goals for incoming interns on what should be accomplished. There was a lot of wasted time and really lack of work. It may good to some people, but i felt wasn't really challenged or gained much experience for future work.

There are newer employer reviews for Navistar.

Worked for Navistar? Contribute to the Community!