Navy Federal Credit Union

I like my job

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pensacola, FL
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Benefits are excellent. Your leave accrues at a higher rate after you have been on staff for 3 years. The salaries are competitive, and the buildings in Pensacola feature state of the art amenities. Many of the jobs are on the phones, but there are quite a few opportunities to move to supervisory positions and other functional teams.

Cons

It's a big company, which is good and bad. Good because it is secure in tough financial times, and bad because you feel like you are just a cog in the machine. Some areas foster creativity and out-of-the-box thinking more than others. I am fortunate enough to be in a good department.

Sometimes management can do a little too-much handholding, which can hold back the abilities of the lower level employees.

Implement mechanisms to ensure corporate culture is maintained by middle management.

242 Other Employee Reviews for Navy Federal Credit Union (View Most Recent)

Average/mediocre as a company, but awfully big on themselves

Former Employee - Training Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Training Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

• The HR benefits are as good as any; it's especially great that part time employees get full benefits. That in itself may make this a good place to work for some people.
    • The people are great; most of my peers became good friends with whom I'd socialize outside of work. Working with friends makes the days fun and enjoyable.

Cons

• Management can be seemingly arbitrarily demanding to fit their whims; in a word, I describe the culture as capricious. There is a clear "Yes sir" expectation; if so-and-so wants it, that better be good enough for you.
    • There is no room for excellence. Once the 1st draft of a project hits the ground, we move on to the next and never take time to go back and make necessary fixes or improvements. The result is a giant collection of loosely connected and poorly implemented systems and processes (or sometimes no system at all).
    • Performance review and coaching are poor. Formal reviews are entirely anecdotal, without any measurements. I've heard a hundred times that an annual review should contain no surprises, but that is all talk. Managers get no training about leadership or coaching.

Navy Federal isn't any worse than a lot of other companies (it's certainly no better), but that doesn't mean I have to settle for it.

Avoid being so close-minded and emphasize excellence and improvement, not size and growth. Maintaining the status quo is a surefire way to eventual mediocrity, where you are already.

Great benefits, very stable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at Navy Federal Credit Union

Pros

Really good benefits, never had any layoffs

Cons

Slow paced, hard to get things done

was