NeighborWorks America

www.nw.org
  www.nw.org
There are newer employer reviews for NeighborWorks America

Easy money. Bunch of lazy, older, overpaid employees just collecting paychecks while waiting to retire

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at NeighborWorks America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of airline miles. Get to eat at fancy restaurants and stay at lavish hotels when traveling since employees get $100 per day for food. Plus, receipts don't need to be submitted so you can drink all the way to $100 every night. (Thanks American taxpayer!) Overstaffed, so you don't have to work very hard.

Cons

Huge waste of taxpayer money. Significant amount of cronyism. Excessive, unnecessary travel. "Production" numbers and value are exaggerated in order to maintain appropriation from congress. Corporation is not what it was when created in 1978. If Congress really knew what was going on here, this colossal waste of taxpayer money would stop. We used to fund small community development organizations that assisted homeowners in their community with weatherization, counseling, home repair, etc. These organizations can live on without NeighborWorks America at this point. Now, we look to fund larger organizations--essentially "buying their numbers" so that we can lie to Congress and tell them that we are making all these wonderful things happen. But the reality is that all these wonderful things would happen without NeighborWorks America. We are inefficient and wasteful. People get hired because of who they know, not because of their qualifications or ability. Many people "work at home" a few days a week. Others stop in only for a few hours each day. Great place to work. I'm about to cut out for a two hour lunch, come back for an hour or so just to be seen, and then go home by 3pm.

Clean up the HR department. Start hiring the best qualified employees, not friends or former colleagues of current employees. Be a better steward of taxpayer money.

16 Other Employee Reviews for NeighborWorks America (View Most Recent)

Learned a lot

Current Employee - Community Scholar in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Community Scholar in Washington, DC

I have been working at NeighborWorks America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They treat their interns with great respect and allow them to have tremendous responsibility and leverage in their assignments. Shows interns how their work is part of the overall organization. Professional development.

Cons

Internship length only 3 months.

Extend the length of the internship to cover a semester or a year.

Management and communication issues make this place maddening

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at NeighborWorks America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Serves a great set of local nonprofits

Cons

Management often runs the place like a dictatorship, extremely heirarchical.
    Very little cross-departmental and even intra-departmental coordination.
    Takes way too long for management to fill major leadership positions, which sit empty leaving major divisions without vision and leadership for up to 1 year with each opening. Currently several open leadership positions that haven't even been posted yet.
    Generally pretty low morale.

Speak to employees every now and then. Talk to them about how things are going.

There are newer employer reviews for NeighborWorks America