There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

Good company with great benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros – It is very easy to communicate with team members and management. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help each other out to get the task at hand done. Work with happy people with nice smiling faces. Discounts are great. Free iphone.

Cons

Cons – upper-middle management is very focused on numbers. Too many associates not enough customers.Could be very boring at times if you are someone who likes a more fast paced place of work. No room to advance. Our manager expects us to be willing to work 24/7 and also frequently tells us that we are all "disposable" and "replaceable". Talk about motivation to show up.

Advice to Management

Please appreciate your team.. Listen, contemplate and revise, sometimes there is another way. Don't treat your employees like they are five years old, give them real, constructive criticism to help build and groom each person - not make us feel as though we are 5 years old.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great environment to work in but.........

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a sense of togetherness. Everyone wants to help each other to be successful.There are opportunities to move up after 6 months of employment.

Cons

We were hired as full time associates. Because business has been slow our paychecks have been 55-60 hours instead of 80!!! Don't our bills and families matter? It does not feel good to be able to earn full time hours when it is convenient for the company.

Advice to Management

Allow us to earn the hours we were hired for. Morale is not very good among workers. We have went through a tedious training process to be hired full time......now we're not being given those hours. Making so little hours I cannot afford insurance!!

Biggest disappointment of my career

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of leadership: upper management/executives are not concerned about developing, motivating, empowering and valuing their mid-level management (in my division, even the associates' bonus were higher than the mid-management). If you are innovative, committed and want to work for a company that cares, run from Neiman Marcus - they do not value employees and do not give you chance to grown - their "executive development program accepts 70 % of external candidates and only 30% of internal ones...blame it on "diversity"! If you are a thinker and challenge initiatives or decisions, NM is not the company for you either - as they cannot lead, they prefer people that can execute without questioning anything. If you are in retail and have the dream to work for Neiman Marcus (as many of us do...), consider it twice - it is likely to become a nightmare.

Advice to Management

You might want to review how your upper management/executives lead people - business is not only about numbers...without people you fail big. You might want to question why change is so difficult in this company - or might want to challenge they 25+ years working for Neiman Marcus type of manager/executive that cannot understand the changes, the times or the new market needs and won't let innovation get to this old minded-obsolete company. You might want to listen to employees that are committed and there to make a difference, that are questioning your practices and policies. You might want to look a little deeper into different divisions of this company and understand that all of them are equally important and should be valued. Without that, in the first opportunity, your good employees will leave you for your competition. Good luck!