OST

Pros

Discounts are great, but you end up spending all of your money.

Cons

Terrible HR and Management. Lack of respect, and inefficient practices.

Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus

1. Sell your heart out - or get out. Also note, I never intended for long term employment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful department manager that was extremely dedicated and professional, amazing chocolate chip cookies at The Zodiac, a personal pro was that I had no intention of long term employment plans with NM, and an employee discount (only used on cosmetics) never hurts. Also occasional contests/giveaways/raffles with pretty great prizes!

Cons

Depending on department managements, fellow coworkers, competitiveness, and personal approach to conflict, could get dicey and catty arguing over customers. Fortunately for me, I got a job at NM because I was bored on my sabbatical and as I wasn't trying to make a living off of NM compensation, it was easier to walk away from arguments over customers and just let it go to keep the peace. Like most retail, opportunity to advance into leadership role is based on more on sales #s and years with company, as opposed to management skills.

Advice to Management

Consider revising compensation structure, downturn in luxury retail sales makes it especially difficult to earn a living, higher turnover, associates itching to get out and find a consistent paycheck.

Great learning experience, did not see myself here long term

Former Employee - Assistant Site Merchandiser in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Site Merchandiser in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my position, I worked with many different areas of the company so I learned a lot about how e-commerce sites work. Vacation and sick time was great.

Cons

I did not find a lot of support with career development. Also, a lot of the policies were not standard across the board. Some teams got certain perks which didn't seem fair to everyone else. The salary is also not as competitive as you would find in similar positions at competitors.

Advice to Management

There should be more training involved when you are first hired as well as more training as things change. Also, there should be more emphasis on career development.