OST

I worked at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Discounts are great, but you end up spending all of your money.

Cons

Terrible HR and Management. Lack of respect, and inefficient practices.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Huge Structure Flaws

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay is higher then most other retail customer service jobs - Majority of the employees are great to work with - Sometimes the company would give free food. - Starbucks and Jamba Juice gift cards (only like $5) - The Discount (specially when there are times with additional percentage)

Cons

- Management even HR plays favoritism (Even though HR is suppose to be neutral) - Communication is just lacking in all aspects (through-out the company) - Customer's could get just plain nasty at times (it's retail) - No work life balance (if your looking for one, this is not the job for you) - You can never be honest with management cause they take it personal and it gets brought up in manager meetings (trust me, they will talk about you) - Customer Service is a hard department to move up from due to you have to have a "sales background" (No room to grow) - They do train you, but it's the bare minimum. - If you are a Sales Associate and you don't sale cause some positions are commission based, they will get rid of you. No Joke!

Advice to Management

(PA St #24) My advice for management is to stop playing favoritism! It's so totally visible, it's sicking. Reward people for their hard work and stop making it so difficult for people who sweat and bleed for the company. Not just $15 for becoming a Service Star! Work on creating better communication between Management and the employees that you are suppose to be looking out for. Supporting one another is key. Have the employee's backs when customer issues arise.Stop taking everything back from these customers cause these customers do not care about the employees commission and how it's taking away from their checks (returning merchandise more then a year ago or more) . Come up with a return policy!

NM Bellevue

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really is none. This review is specifically for the Bellevue, Wa store, as other Neimans are from what I have seen, nothing like it. It will also focus mostly on the Men's Dept.

Cons

"What a disaster!" That was what people mumbled under their breath every day! For whatever reason the company decided to completely ignore the Bellevue store. It truly is the "black sheep" of the Neiman Marcus Group. The Men's Department has zero designer clothing brands, ZERO. As in not one. Let me be more specific. NO Gucci, Prada, DG, Marc Jacobs, Lanvin, Ferragamo, Balmain, Versace, Cavalli, Thom Brown, Givenchy, YSL, Dries, Rag & Bone, Burberry, Paul Smith, Dsquared, APC....do you get the point? NONE. So what does this mean to the scores of Canadian tourists, that LOVE designer? Well it means they are in for an unpleasant surprise. I turned away so many customers that were desperate to spend thousands on brands that every Neimans carries, except.....you guessed it, Bellevue. The men's was one of the worst jokes I have ever had the misfortune of being part of. And no matter how much we and customers complained, they did nothing about it. After about two years of being opened (2009), people finally got that this place wasn't for them and it became a ghost town. Not even kidding a little bit, there were days where all you did was tell people where the bathroom was. On top of all that, here are a few of the other cons: -poor pay -expensive health insurance that wasn't very good....at least that's what I head (I could't afford it) -no clothing allowance (you would think they would want you to look the part!) -lazy, rude management -had to pay to park! So ridiculous -people there had a real sense of arrogance that was rather unsettling

Advice to Management

Look to your other stores or even Nordstrom as model of what your store should be! I cant see this store staying in business much longer.